- Joined
- May 28, 2010
- Messages
- 21,755
- Reaction score
- 35,423
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- White Plains, New York
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
What do you believe is the correct ratio of pictures of actual dug finds posted in online forums -vs- "jewelry store," or faked finds?
A) 99-percent of all posts are actual finds
B) 80-percent of all posts are actual finds
C) 60- percent of all posts are actual finds
D) 50- percent of all posts are actual finds
What is the main motivation for sharing real finds?
What is the main motivation for faking finds?
I am asking these questions because of personal experiences in gold prospecting, where people actually posted pictures of nuggets I had sold in the past, as nuggets they "found" in the desert, or even Alaska. This appears to have happened just recently with a gold nugget sold as a California specimen, when it may have come from Australia. Seems to me, the same shennannigans could be happening on this end of the hobby - hence my questions. Looking forward to your opinions!
A) 99-percent of all posts are actual finds
B) 80-percent of all posts are actual finds
C) 60- percent of all posts are actual finds
D) 50- percent of all posts are actual finds
What is the main motivation for sharing real finds?
What is the main motivation for faking finds?
I am asking these questions because of personal experiences in gold prospecting, where people actually posted pictures of nuggets I had sold in the past, as nuggets they "found" in the desert, or even Alaska. This appears to have happened just recently with a gold nugget sold as a California specimen, when it may have come from Australia. Seems to me, the same shennannigans could be happening on this end of the hobby - hence my questions. Looking forward to your opinions!
Upvote
0

You guys are bringing up some good points
Changing the provenance of that "California" gold nugget made it twice as valuable to the collector - who may have bought a lie. I've often wondered if the same thing doesn't happen with people trying to sell books and DVD's to would be treasure hunters - "Look at these gold and ruby rings I found on the beach," when they weren't. I know high end metal detector dealers that routinely salt $100- $200 gold nuggets for their clients to "discover" with the new $5,400.00 detector and accessory package they just bought from them. Just business? Then they take pictures of these guys holding up that nugget in front of that XXXXXXX detector and paste it all over their sales material. Just business?
Point taken.
Ego, I guess.







