What's new

✅ SOLVED opinions needed on a dovetail

outlawatheart

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
815
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
opinions needed on a dovetail/ better pic with coa's added

I have a chance to buy this from a friend and was wondering what you all thought 1.webp2.webp is it worth 300.00
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
A point is worth what someone is willing to pay. It does look very nice. How do you know it is authentic? Dovetails are one of the most faked points there are. Be careful. Good luck.
 
hello outlaw,i think they call it a st charles in mo.and g10's go for 1700 to 2500.00.according to 12th ed. overstreet.some go for much more.
 
Will he give you back your money, if you send it in to have authenticated and it comes back as a fake?
 
While impossible to really be positive from a picture on net, it does appear to be authentic if the patina is real.... There are nicks on it that would keep it from being a G10..

Just my personal opinion..






American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
 
If you trust your friend and your gut say's it is ok, go for it:laughing7:You have collected enough points in your time I believe to tell if it's real.
 
it looks and feels right... He is willing to get it papered by Baker who is from the area it was found. I know nothing about Authenticators but Baker and Bennett seem to be good for this region. Has anyone used either of these guys?
Also there's a couple more points one already has a old COAbullseye dove.webp by Jackson.
This is the other one from Ohio dove.webp. They look right too but the third points shape seems weird for a dove.
 
I know very little about if the flaking or materials used on these points is correct. Was hoping to get non candy coated honest opinions. Where's Mr. Matt when you need him...
 
How about an edge pic.? I'm no expert, but a lot of reproductions are too thick.

There is nothing like holding them. I think these could go either way.
 
The first point seems right. I have an edge pic I will post. The other two are phone pics from him which were two small. He is sending me current pics today
How about an edge pic.? I'm no expert, but a lot of reproductions are too thick.

There is nothing like holding them. I think these could go either way.
 
After rereading your post, it seems that you are iffy whether the point is real, and if so, is it worth the price.

If the seller is willing to stand behind the sell, and will refund the purchase if its found to be questionable, then go for it.

However, if you have any doubt, then run like hell.

But if you agree to make the purchase, you must be willing to pay an agreed price and not have buyers remorse later.

My advice is to have it looked at by an expert, then you know which way to go...and everybody comes away happy.
 
I am not a buyer, these would be some of my first, and definitely no expert and after being on here for so long how could I not be skeptical. Short of having them papered I don't know a better way of finding out than posting them here. I value the opinions from some of the guys on here to help me decide. Neanderthal nails it most every time!! Some of the other guys too. If I do get them they are headed straight to Bennett...:thumbsup:
After rereading your post, it seems that you are iffy whether the point is real, and if so, is it worth the price.

If the seller is willing to stand behind the sell, and will refund the purchase if its found to be questionable, then go for it.

However, if you have any doubt, then run like hell.

But if you agree to make the purchase, you must be willing to pay an agreed price and not have buyers remorse later.

My advice is to have it looked at by an expert, then you know which way to go...and everybody comes away happy.
 
Sitting at 3.5 inches you will have to do some checking on the net yourself. Im not sure if I would pay that much for it in the market that we are living in rite now. Artifacts that are ancient unless they are perfect just arent selling at all from what I can see.
 
Agree with rock, the market isn't great for anything less than perfect, but 300 is about right.
 
I've never seen a dovetail made with material that has so much rind. Usually an Adena can have some on either end. I would never try to say one way or another from a picture. Still I think everyone's advice on a reputable authenticator is smart. Before the purchase!
 
You asked for some straight out advice so here goes. JMO like Rock said at $350 that is a $100 a inch JMO way to high for a imperfect point of that size, you can buy some Colvis styles for that price. Now on the side view , most modern day knappers don't get the idea that a point had to be hafted, so most base's of points that are real are made to be hafted and thin, knappers tend to make them to thick, but this does not hold true all the time on real points, it's just something I have noticed on modern points. From what I see on the side view the base looks the same thickness has the better part of the point. Hope this helped, and I by no means am saying that it is a fake. The point in the 3rd photo would be a fine knife blade to me.JMO
 
Hi outlaw :)...don't know (of course)...but it is really pretty & unusual color/markings...guess it's how you "feel" about it? :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom