Opinions needed: Upgrading. At Pro w/Nel coil vs. Etrac

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CD was piece of recycling as the files were messed up, the thing is TH when a person is on satellite or a hub the files don't load up properly. Had the machine into the dealer that does things like that, it didn't happen, sent it into Minelab for a repair this past spring, don't know if they did anything as it came back in the same condition, it didn't turn on once I tried it, then it did, then it died for good. So I have to get it back to them again to start this all over again. I'm not even sure if there is anything in the Exchange2 that would enhance my hunting as I even forgot what it offered, and if I didn't need it back then I'm sure I can live without it now. They should have offered a lower priced unit and kept the program separate for the one that needed it.

When you sent it in, did you tell them you were on satellite or a hub?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JIE... You said it perfectly... "There is nothing the E-Trac does better than the CTX"... But there is nothing the CTX does better than the Etrac than > be kinda waterproof (bad seals), it has better ergonomics, has GPS when it works, that's it for approx $1000.00 more.

This is not true. The CTX is deeper by an inch or two, it IS better at finding targets mixed with iron, it gives more consistent solid tones on deeper targets, the GPS always works (and the E-Trac doesnt have it), the ergonomics are WAAAAY better.

Personally, the ability to swing it all day, day after day without needing a damn harness is almost worth the price increase.

Can you dig 8" deep dime with a 6 inch coil on the E-Trac? Can you dig 12" deep dimes with the Stock E-Trac? CTX does those and my E-Trac NEVER did. I have also taken my CTX into the lakes and ocean multiple times and never had a leak.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There must have been something wrong with your Etrac? The CTX does have way better ergonomics. It is not any deeper than my Etrac. I have hunted side by side with a CTX and it was no deeper. I am happy you are happy with your CTX :) a lot of them leak though and lots if them have to be sent in for repair. Just saying...

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And I forgot... the guy I hunted with his GPS would never work and it's in for repair now...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you sent it in, did you tell them you were on satellite or a hub?

I stated both times that the download files were corrupt because of the service that we had, only thing that sucks from moving from the city is the communication downgrade.
I don't know if the E2 program is working as the unit was turned on, and it failed, turned on - failed again for good so I'm not sure. I wasn't impressed been in England without a back up machine (first time leaving it home), the owner of a B&B lent me his E-Trac.for the two week hunt.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There must have been something wrong with your Etrac? The CTX does have way better ergonomics. It is not any deeper than my Etrac. I have hunted side by side with a CTX and it was no deeper. I am happy you are happy with your CTX :) a lot of them leak though and lots if them have to be sent in for repair. Just saying...

And I forgot... the guy I hunted with his GPS would never work and it's in for repair now...

Maybe there was something more wrong with his CTX than just the GPS. In the end, all we can do is give our own personal observations and let others decide for themselves!

I think the water issue was a combination of problems. I believe a lot of floods were the result of people not properly cleaning the o-ring and channel at battery change (it is a PIA). And I believe some of it was tolerance in manufacturing. a few thousands of an inch change in the battery pod sealing face could be the difference between a solid seat against the o-ring and weak contact. I know there was not much compression resistance when latching mine. Someone who just got the a CTX with the upgraded battery pod and oring says it locks firmly.

OP
OP
I

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't decide what to do. Everything I read changes my thoughts. My mind keeps going in different directions. Remember the movie Sybil? lol. I KNOW the Etrac will find silver my AT Pro won't. I would get the Etrac if I knew I didn't have to slow WAY down at fairly clean sites. And if it would at least perform OK at very trashy sites.

Also, the Etrac has been out for awhile. When is Minelab going to decide they are too old to keep servicing?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't decide what to do. Everything I read changes my thoughts. My mind keeps going in different directions. Remember the movie Sybil? lol. I KNOW the Etrac will find silver my AT Pro won't. I would get the Etrac if I knew I didn't have to slow WAY down at fairly clean sites. And if it would at least perform OK at very trashy sites.

Also, the Etrac has been out for awhile. When is Minelab going to decide they are too old to keep servicing?

The slowing down is worth the reward.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get the Etrac if I knew I didn't have to slow WAY down at fairly clean sites. And if it would at least perform OK at very trashy sites.

Good lord, I have had to repeat this so many times, I don't even remember what threads I have written it in. But here goes one more time.... YOU CAN SWING THE E-TRAC AS FAST AS YOU WANT WHEN THERE ARE FEW TARGETS PRESENT!

People who cry about having to go sooooo slooooow don't understand the FBS and have probably never owned one. I used the E-Trac for 5 years before moving to the CTX 3 years ago. I put thousands of hours on it. I promise, there is no target except one at the very, very, very edge of detection depth that you will miss by swinging fast. When you are hunting trashy sites (which the vast majority of my sites are), then you slow down. The more trash, the slower you go. The great thing about FBS is that you CAN move it at a snails pace and still identify targets. Most detectors require a specific swing speed and anything too slow causes dramatic losses in detection depth.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep seeing statements about the CTX not being waterproof. There are numerous threads concerning that issue, and some pretty solid fixes - first off the o-ring upgrades - very, very easy to do. Even Minelab has essentially admitted that by offering o-ring upgrades. As I understand it, the third party o-ring upgrades were to be offered by Kellyco. I purchased mine off Aliexpress at less than $20 for 50. And a number of members here have shared them between us. With precautions taken with the USB port, Frogmaster (sp) took his CTX down over 60 feet deep with no leaks.

As to the weight issues, I can swing the CTX all day long, I couldn't do that with the Etrac without a harness. And I have certainly swung the CTX at fast speeds in open areas with few targets. I slow it down on very old sites where history may reward me with delight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the only way to know for sure if an Etrac will work for me or not is to try one for awhile. Thanks everybody.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess the only way to know for sure if an Etrac will work for me or not is to try one for awhile. Thanks everybody.

If you monitor the for sales forums - you have to be a Charter Member to sell - you'll see Etracs for sale occasionally. You could also put up a post in the "Wanted" section seeking an Etrac. You may see opportunity there.

If after a bit of use, give it a really good try focusing on mastering the beast. then if you don't like it, put it up for sale and recover your investment - and it is an investment.

OP
OP
I

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of the plan. I can sell the AT Pro locally. But finding an Etrac locally will not be as easy, so I will watch the forums.

I hope it works for me cause I already like the Etrac even though I 've never seen one in person. I like the screen, the menu structure, how customizable it is. And how they say it makes a certain high whistle that lets you know when it's over silver. Hopefully I can get one with some warranty left.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lately there have been a few like new Etrac's on the forum's for $775.00 to $900.00. you can buy a new one for $1250.00 delivered. the Etrac rocks :)

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Im giving someone until April to come up with $1100 for my "Investment", if not it'll be in the Classified Forums. Warranty card never filled out, battery charged once, still at half charged from original charge, extra lower shaft with the tiny NEL snake coil.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Im giving someone until April to come up with $1100 for my "Investment", if not it'll be in the Classified Forums. Warranty card never filled out, battery charged once, still at half charged from original charge, extra lower shaft with the tiny NEL snake coil.

Moral of the story here, some folks really do not like the Etrac. You may not, thus it really is a serious thing you're dealing with in this choice "I can dig it". Just use it and be patient in learning it. If you end up purchasing one, give it more than half of the original charge. Serious "investments" merit serious intent.

OP
OP
I

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'm going to put in a serious effort. I know what it's capable of and just like any other tool, it's only as good as the guy using it. I really hope it works for me and I can find a decent one at a good price.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'm going to put in a serious effort. I know what it's capable of and just like any other tool, it's only as good as the guy using it. I really hope it works for me and I can find a decent one at a good price.

I'll keep you up to date come spring

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moral of the story here, some folks really do not like the Etrac. You may not, thus it really is a serious thing you're dealing with in this choice "I can dig it". Just use it and be patient in learning it. If you end up purchasing one, give it more than half of the original charge. Serious "investments" merit serious intent.

Took it out to an area where an old barn (heavy iron) once stood, does the same things it always did, in the Minelab programs, doesn't recover quick enough and signals disappear. And I was creeping along just as you all suggested. It's just not for me....if I had a salt beach around I'd keep it.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have owned both the At Pro with a larger Nel coil and an Etrac. I'm currently using the AT Pro with both 5x8 and stock coils. I'm thinking about upgrading and was going to get a Nel Storm or Attack coil but thought maybe money would be better spent selling the At Pro and buying an Etrac. I don't water hunt and I mostly look for coins. I'm just wondering if the Etrac would be worth the extra money and effort over just getting a bigger Nel coil. Thanks in advance.

And back to your original post - I have the huge NEL coil for the ATP - It does give about an extra inch in depth, I used mine twice, way to heavy for me and I spend very little time in open clean fields, where this coil would shine, I hang out in the heavy iron, so if interested in the coil let me know - $80 delivered - It's the big grey one, the Tornado I believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread