What's new

Opinions Needed...

nyiangelo

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
639
Reaction score
27
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
My grandmother recently gave me a safe that belonged to my Great-great-great grandfather. I can remember seeing this thing around as a child and being in better condition than it is now. My father had it for awhile and let it go to crap before my grandmother picked it up again. I've always had these plans of restoring it and making it look like it did in its prime. You can see it is pretty worn and has rust spots. I like the front as it still has his name.

So question is,,, should I keep it original like it is in the present condition or restore the safe as it would of been when he first bought it? Kind of torn and looking for opinions. THanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2315.webp
    IMG_2315.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2318.webp
    IMG_2318.webp
    90.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2314.webp
    IMG_2314.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2316.webp
    IMG_2316.webp
    51.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2317.webp
    IMG_2317.webp
    130.1 KB · Views: 173
Family items that have sentimental value I will restore/repair, especially if the intent is to display it in some way. Your safe as
it sits now, may only get worse so at the very least try to stop the damage from progressing. (take lots of pictures) :wink:
 
I can see why you'd want to keep it in its present condition. There's something really neat about those old battered safes.

If you're not going to restore all of it, the one thing I would recommend completely cleaning and repairing would be the hinges and the locking mechanisms. You really don't need those freezing up on ya especially if you're gonna use it for yourself! :sad1:
 
I say have it restored but make sure the lettering and the designs are recreated exactly to specification. don't let them modernize it.
 
Talk to local safe company -- Locks and Safes -- find out who does their restoration/touch-up work. A black lacquer paint job with modern hand painted door striping should not cost that much. At least is is worth cleaning and new paint job for sentimental family heirloom picture books etc., even if you are not going to keep valuables in it. Cost effective decision?, No Way; Just think in terms of passing down family history to next generation.

By the way, you can now get new ones for $50 to $250 range, everywhere from autoparts stores to office supply stores. And as a minimum, I would build some kind of wood base with laminated wood strip flooring -or- tile for it to sit on; keep from ruining the floor.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom