NOVA-Hunter

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2013
Fairfax Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opinion here. I have been mixing in ASE bullion coins and Maple leafs with my purcahses. For simple bang for buck, the coins are not worth more than melt value imo.
If your talking first run proofs ASE or others like maple leaf, ect. The premiums are MUCH higher and they will have numismatic value just hard to say how much and how long you will have to hold before selling for profit. Too many factors like production numbers and market swings.
Guess i buy a few rolls of bullion coins mostly just to have something diferent to look at. Could also make aurgument the coin bullion is known and trusted purity but more and more ebay china counterfits are showing up all the time.

If holding silver as a hedge, id say go with cheapest reliable quality product you can find. My opinion, sure others will have their own thoughts.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Currently, I like the ASEs and 90% halves. I also like 90% Morgans and Peace dollars, but am not wiling to pay the current premiums, attached, in part, from numismatic value. Like many others, I'm willing to pay a reasonable premium for govt-issued stuff. I just feel better about the purity and the marketability of these, as well as the fact they appeal to my coin collecting nature.

Last edited:

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like Maple Leafs over ASEs. They're typically around $.50 less to purchase. MLs are .9999 pure vs .999 for ASEs. I've heard tales that some MLs will weigh fractionally more than an ounce (although none of mine have). And finally the face value of ASEs is $1 while MLs are $5....not that I think that'll ever matter, but one never knows.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread