What's new

Opinions

Alan Applegate

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2013
Messages
262
Reaction score
131
Golden Thread
0
Location
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't varmint hunt any more, and I don't do solo Group 2 racing any more either, which leaves me with two basic hobbies: Amateur Radio, and metal detecting. In my case, both hobbies came about at almost the same time, and perhaps for good reason. Way back then, if you wanted a decent transmitter, you built one. Same for metal detecting. A simple BFO was about all there was, and a few popular electronic magazines had plans for same. This is getting a bit off the subject, but let me associate the two.

One of the most popular themes with on-line amateur radio sites, is asking others for their opinion about some specific model or models. The same holds true for metal detectors. Unfortunately, opinions are like noses, everybody has one! So, when you ask, you get a lot of specific answers, most of which are given without knowing what the asking party's funding is, nor their likes of dislikes, where they plan on hunting, what their physical limitations are if any, and a vast assortment of other interesting, but pointless, information.

The bottom line here is, no one really knows how to accurately answer anyone's query about purchasing a specific brand or model, without knowing a lot more than what is presented by the asking party. If this were amateur radio, the best place to go is to your local dealer. Unfortunately, metal detector dealers are more scarce than amateur radio ones! So what is a person to do?

I'm not sure if I have all of the answers either. But if you listen to someone one's opinion, and you base your purchase on what that person says, the chances are you will be disappointed! So, the best option, if you can, is to visit your closest dealer and play with what is available. I you can't, be careful. In fact, be very careful about asking for opinions!
 
Well you can ask a few basic questions like where they are going to hunt, what will they be looking for, etc
I usually tell them to go test drive several.
You are right, it is hard to suggest a certain one or even a brand if you don't know the person, but even we just picked one and got used to it or not. I did. The one thing I do suggest is stay with the well known brands, there are fakes out there.
 
​Very true what one person thinks is the best detector in the world … And you might buy one on what he / she said .. Then you could get a detector you think is the worse thing you ever bought ……. And you are right about there funding they will say i have $350.00 … and some one will come on and say get this $1200.00 detector … They just said $350 .. and can not afford more than that… People that have money does not under stand how some one can not afford to spend that much on a detector that they may find a penny with…. I under stand for at one time i was in a bad way and in those times for me to come up with $350.00 was out of the question when there was rent food car payment….I see a lot on here have no idea what it is to struggle just for living expenses
 
All I know is that I have found more treasure by using the cheapest detector I could buy. That shouldn't have happened, but it did. I think prior research played a big part in that. That and listening to the old Texas stories that got repeated everywhere when I was a kid. There's a lot of truth in some old legends, once you get the ca-ca out...
 
Here's my opinion..

Buy American.

Buy Lifetime Warranty.

Buy Tesoro.

Find the good stuff over and over!
 
So what's better, a vertical multi-band R7 or single band inverted V?

Should I go barefoot with long wire? Can you use a J-Pole on 440?

Where do we put the relative bearing grease in a Tesoro?

Will a VLF go as deep as PI?

So many questions...

'73 de me.
 
When will people realize all metal detectors do the same thing?
 
You dont have any answers because you have not been offered a question, and you dont know the bottom line. Perhaps I will offer you a question. Is your post not in fact an opinion, which would be ironic, since you are offering bottom line advice concerning opinions and such, thus being subject to your own rules about opinions, which they in fact are? What are you trying to say in your post? As far as opinions are concerned, concerning opinions about tecters or treasure hunting crap, just take the advice of the seasoned guys here on tnet, its a plethora of very valuable information and the good guys are always willing to help as best they can. Nobody can give a bum steer about tectin or treasure hunting in Tnet Land, because if they do, they will be called out. I have learned a world of info on tectin from this site, even after pulling silver out of old places for twenty plus years. If you want an opinion on a cz or atpro or m6 and you get a response from me, it wont be an opinion, it will be the truth.
 
Now when Terry offers his opinion on Tesoro, you can bring it to the bank. But a lot of the raw material and resistors and transistors and chips and crap that goes into "usa" tecters like Tesoro and Garrett and Fisher and Whites and such are made in China. So be it. This is not an opinion.
 
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

:thumbsup:
One of my favorite movies. :laughing7:
It is hard to put yourself in someone's shoes and try to help them with best answer. Almost as hard as trying to describe tones on a Minelab.
Calvin and eastern treasures.webp
 
Time in the field will surely produce more good finds, but the best equipment one can afford doesn't hurt either. I finally purchased an Etrac. It took 2 months of penny pinching, but metal detecting is now my sole vise. I want every advantage I can get. Opinions do help from trusted sources. No detector stores within 100 miles of me. None big enuf to have testable machines anyway.
Peace
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom