What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Option on age range

Nathan W

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
3,453
Reaction score
10,833
Golden Thread
0
Had this over two years. Got it at an early 1800s settlement that was burned by Sherman's men as they marched through. The area was occupied until around 1910s. I'm finally working on cleaning it up. It's a more simple design than some of my others and in rough shape. Not sure if this was machine made or local smith. Maybe these are just to hard to pinpoint to much.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3678.webp
    IMG_3678.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3679.webp
    IMG_3679.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
FWIW, It sure looks hand forged to me. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Had this over two years. Got it at an early 1800s settlement that was burned by Sherman's men as they marched through. The area was occupied until around 1910s. I'm finally working on cleaning it up. It's a more simple design than some of my others and in rough shape. Not sure if this was machine made or local smith. Maybe these are just to hard to pinpoint to much.
You need to get set up with a electrolysis tank your restoration projects.
Many times there's a touch mark on the head.
I dig these up and think it took some effort to swing that all day long.
 
Upvote 0
I can see a line parallel with the blade edge and back a bit from it. Could be the cutting edge material was set into the part of the head which had been formed around a mandrel and hammer welded in place. That suggests old (1800s or earlier) and handmade.
 
Upvote 0
I can see a line parallel with the blade edge and back a bit from it. Could be the cutting edge material was set into the part of the head which had been formed around a mandrel and hammer welded in place. That suggests old (1800s or earlier) and handmade.
You mean the steel edge wielded on?
 
Upvote 0
There is a blacksmithing technique called San Mai where you basically wrap a piece of higher carbon steel, for edge retention, and is wrapped into a piece of lower carbon steel, for workability and shock factors, whereas the higher carbon steel sticks out a bit from the lesser steel. Back in the day the higher carbon steel was precious and was used sparingly. I have found axe heads that are the same. I live about 5 miles from where John Deere had one of his blacksmith shops, 1830's I think. I'd like to think the ones I have found were made by him. At the historical site they have items they have found from when his shop burned down. They look like the one you have and the ones I have found. I would say 1800's for sure. Just my opinion as a part time blacksmith.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom