Organizing treasure leads

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
How does everyone organize their treasure leads?? I am looking for a way to organize mine. Some of the ideas that I have come up with are plastic sheet protectors, three ring binders, and laminating the information (articles, etc.) Just curious what other are doing to save their treasure leads. Thanks for your input.

Mods: please feel free to move if this is in the wrong area. Thanks.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a balance between my web links for my online stuff located in a Treasure Files folder in my Firefox browser, and then I have a digital treasure folder on my Windows desktop where I try to keep everything digitized and organized by separate folders within the main folder. There is a method to my madness... though I might be the only to be able to know where it's all at. :wink: I do keep hard copies to sometimes... I just prefer digital copies, as they are easier to search through on the laptop and I can keep multiple backups between my laptop and my two external hard drives. I also keep much of my digital content on my flash drive that I carry everywhere with me. Wow, I'm now realizing how OCD I really am. :help:

Bran <><

K

Kentucky Kache

Mostly hard copy. I do have some computer files, but to me theres nothing like having the paper in my hand. My main lead is in a separate folder, which is larger than the folders with my other leads. In fact, I need to make sub folders for it. I don't have anything laminated, but thats a good idea.

pccvanwilder

Nov 22, 2009
florida panhandle
Detector(s) used
tesoro
i keep a journal, carry it with me all the time, and back things up in a binder i might want for in the future. works well for me. also... map on the wall of the country with push pins... easy reminders

DanielWestman

Aug 15, 2008
Umeå
pccvanwilder said:
map on the wall of the country with push pins...

I like the idea with a map on the wall! For online treasure leads I use Evernote, a free software where you can save stuff you find on the internet(text, pictures, you name it) and also create your own notes. You can tag all your notes so it's really easy to sort through them. One of the advantages with using Evernote is that you can sync your data between computers and the data gets backed up 24/7, no risk of loosing all your leads because of a hard drive failure. I also have a binder with printed out leads. I also have a folder on my harddrive with PDF's. I use Dropbox to back up the files and sync them between computers. With Dropbox you get 2gb storage for free.

http://www.evernote.com/
https://www.dropbox.com/

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a separate file cabinet with file folders arranged by subject and state and shipwreck name, etc. All in alphabetical order. All hard copies. You can never loose that data.

DanielWestman

Aug 15, 2008
Umeå
Salvor6 said:
I have a separate file cabinet with file folders arranged by subject and state and shipwreck name, etc. All in alphabetical order. All hard copies. You can never loose that data.

Never say never, your house might burn down or someone might break in and steal your file cabinet. The risk isn't big, but it's there. Digital online backup of your hard copies might be something to consider, or a fireproof file cabinet if you can afford it. :icon_thumright:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notebooks and a box of file cards are still the best way to go. No batteries, no extention cords, the cost of ONE computer will buy enough notebooks and file cards for two lifetimes. Spreading a few cards or notebooks pages out on a table top for easier cross checking facts is a lot easier and more functional than fooling with a computer; switching window views, etc.

Remember, the K.I.S.S. principle is STILL the best guide.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
In 1975 I started a treasure cross-reference index. Have 48,000+ leads, including treasures found, gold coins found and lost, ghost towns, shipwrecks, treasure, armored truck coin spills, etc. Organized thru proper name first, location second, legendary name third. The Internet is a wonderful place to do research. A metal detector just pinpoints what you want to find.

Also like to browse through lost-found ads from the 1900's. You'd be surprised how many platinum rings/watches/gold were dropped or lost during that period, when placing a lost or found ad was often free.

Time-consuming, but worth it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to work on one treasure at a time, build a file and then pursue that possible treasure until I've exhausted all the leads. I keep each treasure case in it's own coil bound note book along with a progressive journal in the back. Sometimes it might be 3 years or more before I have new cause to open a certain file again. It's just easier for me to keep focus this way, one treasure hunt at a time is about all I can handle in an efficient manner. Otherwise I get too easily distracted from even the simplest individual task & goals. But I only keep books on a few pet projects, maybe a dozen or so. All of the lesser things are kept in the huge open expanse in my head. :laughing7:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I keep all mine in my documents,then as I want one I just print it out.I have them organized by state and by type(mine,cache,etc).I also have them burned on a CD, in case my computer would go down or lose its memory.If I want to look for one I can just print it off and take it with me.I also, can go back and edit any with more information as I get it and update with any found treasures, I have found out about.Good Luck. rockhound

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
bigscoop said:
I tend to work on one treasure at a time, build a file and then pursue that possible treasure until I've exhausted all the leads. I keep each treasure case in it's own coil bound note book along with a progressive journal in the back. Sometimes it might be 3 years or more before I have new cause to open a certain file again. It's just easier for me to keep focus this way, one treasure hunt at a time is about all I can handle in an efficient manner. Otherwise I get too easily distracted from even the simplest individual task & goals. But I only keep books on a few pet projects, maybe a dozen or so. All of the lesser things are kept in the huge open expanse in my head. :laughing7:
Hey, if it works for you! Not that open or expansive if you were able to access it.

I've got too many leads to file that way. There are estimated to be over 100,000 shipwrecks in the Caribbean alone.

Even though I spend most of my current available time on 1-2 leads, there are always others kicking around. That's why the cross-reference index: only way to keep records of each lead somewhat straight.

I hate reading about the same treasure lead under different names: impossible to correlate. That's why I started my index.

A little side note: when Mel Fisher was looking for the Atocha, I already had the location of the Atocha's sister ship Conception through the historical accounts of William Penn's salvage efforts. Penn's unique innovation was using a diving bell to provide air. While Conception had been salvaged at least 5 different times before, Penn recovered considerable treasure while Conception's mast was still above water. Under salvage laws of the time, Penn gave the money to the English crown, as England controlled Florida's waters at the time. The crown gave Penn a little token of its esteem: a little land in the New World. Pennsylvania.

Because the Nuestra Senora de Atocha was a short distance from the Conception, Fisher could have shortened his search time by getting the research on the Atocha's sister ship, Conception. Only a cross-reference index provides data like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread