What's new

Oriental coin?

rwsnc

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2007
Messages
990
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this coin this weekend but other than the fact that I think it's a Chinese coin, I haven't been able to find out anything else about it. Any idea what kind of coin, denomination or date? I don't even know if I have them right side up or upside down.

DSC_0019.jpg


DSC_0020.jpg
 
I'm fairly sure that it's zinc or bronze. Not positive though.
 
Upvote 0
Cannot vouch for it's authenticity...

But it's a Ch'ien Lung T'ung Pao, Chinese cash coin.

Dynasty: Ch'ing (1644 - 1911 a.d.)
Emperor: Kao Tsung (1736-1795 a.d.)
Reign Title: Ch'ien Lung (1736-1795 a.d.)

Your holding the reverse upside down (second pic), but got the obverse correct... here is a website you way find intersting about your coin.

http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/coins/chienlung.html
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the ID, Jim. I think you might be right. That's pretty cool but I can't tell how old it is, if it's real or fake, or what it's worth.
 
Upvote 0
rwsnc said:
Thanks for the ID, Jim. I think you might be right. That's pretty cool but I can't tell how old it is, if it's real or fake, or what it's worth.

Unfortunately, even if it's 300 years old, it's worth at most between nothing and two dollars.

Unless it's one of the rare variations which I did not look too closely at. Either way the Chinese cash coins are a very cool find I think. They are also imitated by the score, and sometimes I can see in the pics if it's a fake, but I can't tell with yours.
 
Upvote 0
I'm more interested in the age. In it's present condition, it's not worth anything. The edges are screwed up and there's a fair amount of corrosion.
 
Upvote 0
If authentic, it's all right here...

Dynasty: Ch'ing (1644 - 1911 a.d.)
Emperor: Kao Tsung (1736-1795 a.d.)
Reign Title: Ch'ien Lung (1736-1795 a.d.)
 
Upvote 0
The ID of Chien Lung Tung Pao is probably correct, although the characters are a bit different.. Jim is good at these cash coin IDs. Moe found one and I found one myself. Mine is a rare Lung. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,180188.0.html

Yours appears to be a zinc plated variation. It does not look brass or bronze like mine (middle pic). I will try to search for it if I get a chance. Try the Zeno.com database.. Where did you find it?
 

Attachments

  • chinese rare lung.webp
    chinese rare lung.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 339
  • chinese chien lung tung pao  25mm.webp
    chinese chien lung tung pao 25mm.webp
    6.2 KB · Views: 360
  • chinese zinc.webp
    chinese zinc.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 294
  • chinese rare lung.webp
    chinese rare lung.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 287
  • chinese.webp
    chinese.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 274
  • chinese chien lung tung pao  25mm.webp
    chinese chien lung tung pao 25mm.webp
    6.2 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help, Bigcypress... I'm pretty sure it's zinc, too. I found it in Holly Springs, NC.
 
Upvote 0
rwsnc said:
Thanks for your help, Bigcypress... I'm pretty sure it's zinc, too. I found it in Holly Springs, NC.
School, church, house, farm, beach? What was the era of any other items found?
 
Upvote 0
Here is the Zeno database. Your coin will be here somewhere but you will have to search. Start with Far East/ China. http://www.zeno.ru/

Can I see the thickness of this coin/token? The calligraphy of your characters are different and Im leaning toward a tourist souvenir but I am not certain. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
It was found on the grounds of a private school. Also found there was the cleaner portion of a Williams cleaner bullet of the Civil War era. The dimensions are:

DSC_0056.jpg


DSC_0057.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom