Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm not quite sure why it is, but it seems like every 1890's to 1920's house has an oriental coin hidden in it. Must have been quite the fashion back in the day. Any idea what my new find is? I'm guessing Chinese, but dynasty, approximate year, and type of coin would be most helpful. 20150830_100306.jpg 20150830_100311.jpg 20150830_100203.jpg

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one also a while back... frustrating because there are hundreds of variations, I still have no clue what I have...but it looks like yours!:laughing7:

Upvote 0

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AH HA" THE OLE PUT THE ROUND POLE INTO THE SQUARE HOLE COIN . NICE COIN .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got to be kidding me! I actually found a 1700s Chinese coin in Marion, IA. That's incredible. The oldest coin I've found to date was 1880's. Thanks for the help guys, I can't tell you how much you've made my day!

Upvote 0

Ceredox

Sep 21, 2015
MA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a, Troy Shadow X2, White's Coinmaster 6000D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father found 3 of these at a site of an old CC camp for the workers who built the the Quabbin Reservoir in MA. Which was made in the 1930's. It's called a Chinese cash. I have read that they were used for centuries with the same casting. There very difficult to date but its possible to get an idea if you can identify what kind of metal it's mixed with. But it seems they were made all the way into the early 1900's and used until about that time. Given the location, you may have found a much later one. I'm very sorry to possibly burst your bubble =(. I know this is only Wikipedia but here is an example of what i mean: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_(Chinese_coin)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
While Chinese cash coins are not dated, a relatively narrow date range can be determined if able to read the obverse characters. In a four character coin (as with the OP's) the first two characters read are the emperors reign title.
Don......

Upvote 0

Ceredox

Sep 21, 2015
MA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a, Troy Shadow X2, White's Coinmaster 6000D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While Chinese cash coins are not dated, a relatively narrow date range can be determined if able to read the obverse characters. In a four character coin (as with the OP's) the first two characters read are the emperors reign title.
Don......
Interesting. I'll have to check out the ones I have then.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you need assistance with ID-ing Chinese cash coins, there are plenty of TNeters who would welcome the challenge to assist.
If you choose to post a pic of one or more Chinese cash coins, please include either the diameter measurement or something we can use as a scale; like a one cent piece.
Welcome to TreasureNet !!
Don.....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread