OT / Spider Bites -- Brown Recluse Spider NOT for the squemish. !!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron, that's totally insane! :BangHead:
I can't believe all you've been through and then to go through this with a spider bite!
Really glad you made it out without losing a foot/toe or worse.....death!
Don't think I'll see one of those spiders here in Winterpeg but had to look it up anyways.....

View attachment 1459806

Nasty buggers!
I hope all goes well in the final healing stages.
Take care out there!

I usually have a hard time Id'ing them , you can clearly see the 'Fiddle' on their back in pictures, but when out I find it tough to tell them from Wolf Spiders and some other types.

I'm guessing this picture would = a Spider the size of a Quarter laid flat???

Those Black Widows are Easy to Id without seeing the Red Spot. I know I have had close calls with them esp, when the Ladies are Fat & ready to Make an egg sack.

I also wonder why such small creatures have such potent Venom??

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; Mudflap, just one pointer ok. The Brown recluse Spiders are all over Mass.. They live "anywhere" Man inhabits. I never knew about them until they did the biopsy on the tissue in my toe. The Hospital Identified it, not me ok. The sucker almost killed me literally. Yup, they saved my foot but now they are trying to save my toe. A new infection has started in the bone deep hole in my toe. If it gets into the bone then they will have no choices but to Amputate. It is literally an all out WAR to save my toe now. I see my Primary Care Doctor today. I will let you guys know how I'm doing with it ok. Right now I have to stay off my foot 24/7 so I'm basically bed ridden. My luck that spider is lurking in my mattress for all I know.
I wrote this to warn you guys to be VERY careful out there. These suckers are no joke for sure. It has taken "6" Doctors & Surgeons working together to get this mess under control. So PLEASE don't fool with them. KILL THEM ALL.!!! BEFORE they kill "YOU." ok.
Being Treasure Hunters We here are particularly exposed to their danger when we go digging o please be carrefu ok. You do NOT want to see my wound pictures forsure. They ARE gross in themselves ok. Happy Hunting. PEACE:ROONB

Mr BARKER
Really Hope you are doing better & get that infection under control.

Just wondering do you have any other health issues that may have made your bite worse?
Diabetes , etc?

Guess it would have helped to know Right when you were bitten , for Fast treatment.

I think a Spider of some type got me last Oct, I felt a sting on the back of my Thigh above my Knee, Felt like an Ant or yellow jacket sting but through my pants.

Over the next Month or more I kept noticing a slight pain when sitting & the spot would become itchy , I'd scratch the scab off , (did this cycle for a while) by the time I really looked at it , the Spot was about the size of a cigarette burn but a-bit cratered & I saw 2 little indention's in the sore.

It slowly got better , I just looked at the spot in the mirror & the is a Nickel Size dark Scar on the Spot.
( I scar dark ,then they blend in over a year or 2 ,for some reason).,

Heck it still feels tender.

Also last Fall something got me on the Neck while pushing through some branches/ vines, but this left more like a burn & felt like one , my Wife thought I had a Hicckie ??? but No indention's in the Skin???

It's got a small dark area there as well , wow! I'm gettin old ; healing up slower.

I do pray you get better & have a Great ' Bite-less Summer'.
Davers:hello:

Ima digger

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My son got bit by a spider about 6 months ago. He had some boots in the trunk of his car, got them out and put them on. He thought that was where it was. Any way, probably the 2nd day, he told me about it, and the whole top and side of his foot was red and swollen. He had got bitten on the ankle/foot area. He went to the Doctor and this is what he prescribed. We don't have anything that will help you, but I have an old remedy from here in Tennessee that you can try. Go buy a block of camphor, break off a small piece and break it up, put drops of moonshine on it to make a paste. Cover the place, and drip more shine on it to keep it wet. Put that on 3 or 4 times a day. Keep it elevated, and put cool pack on it several times a day. I think he may have given an antibioctic, also(i'll ask him). As soon as we put the camphor/moonshine mix on it, the color started returning to normal. Swelling went down, and in 2 days it was normal looking. He did the cool and elevation, for bout 2 days also. It healed up great. I've been wanting to share this with as many people as possible.
This was a medical Doctor and you may laugh, but some things that used to work, still work. I hope nobody gets bit, so they wont need this. Ima

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son got bit by a spider about 6 months ago. He had some boots in the trunk of his car, got them out and put them on. He thought that was where it was. Any way, probably the 2nd day, he told me about it, and the whole top and side of his foot was red and swollen. He had got bitten on the ankle/foot area. He went to the Doctor and this is what he prescribed. We don't have anything that will help you, but I have an old remedy from here in Tennessee that you can try. Go buy a block of camphor, break off a small piece and break it up, put drops of moonshine on it to make a paste. Cover the place, and drip more shine on it to keep it wet. Put that on 3 or 4 times a day. Keep it elevated, and put cool pack on it several times a day. I think he may have given an antibioctic, also(i'll ask him). As soon as we put the camphor/moonshine mix on it, the color started returning to normal. Swelling went down, and in 2 days it was normal looking. He did the cool and elevation, for bout 2 days also. It healed up great. I've been wanting to share this with as many people as possible.
This was a medical Doctor and you may laugh, but some things that used to work, still work. I hope nobody gets bit, so they wont need this. Ima

Into my bush medicine note book that recipe goes.

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; A few things ok. I do NOT know where this dang Brown Recluse Spider came from. All I know is 6 Doctors & Surgeons from 3 different hospitals ID'd it. The biopsy was ID'd by the CDC Poison Center as well. I think I'll take their word for it. Personally I don't care what it was or where it came from. I'm going through HELL with it. I see the suckers they are gonna die PERIOD. The hole is about the size of a nickel only a bit larger and it goes all the way to the bone literally. ALL of the skin, muscles, tendons and tissue have now been eaten away. They no longer exist and the bone is exposed. DAVERS, Nope, no Diabetes or Gout or xyz. They are doing "everything" they can to Neutralize the Venom and stop it from eating away more of the toe. The Venom is now acting like flesh eating bacteria literally. They are also afraid of me getting either bone or blood infections as well. This is a VISCOUS Cycle. They said it will take 6 - 8 months for it to heal and I will have permanent scarring as well. 12 of the toe is "gone" literally. The thing I can't understand is why none of the Doctors have given me any Anti Venom shots yet. I just don't know. Maybe there is none for it. Anyways, I pray that none of you Folks here have or ever get bitten. This is no joke for sure so PLEASE take care out there ok. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get Well and Good Luck! Jeesh, I had to look up to see if those spiders make up here to Central Alberta, luckily no! But, as some as the other posters have mentioned about the "travelers", it is not uncommon for us to find Black Widows in our fruit that we buy at the super market that was trucked in from the USA, (mostly grapes).

Again, good luck Mr.Barker and get well!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Into my bush medicine note book that recipe goes.

I have such a book but i never can find it when I need it.

No Moonshine Here , I guess Golden Grain will work.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish ya the best guy....

I worked with Loretta Lynn's granddaughter for a few years while at the Saturn Corp. She was bitten by a brown recluse and had to have about 1/2 of her calf muscle removed to stop the spread of the poison.

Then my wife got bite on the hand by one. It swelled up and the skin and muscle turned BLACK! In the end she never lost anything but she went through hell also.

Very small spider and you can't even feel the bite.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; A few things ok. I do NOT know where this dang Brown Recluse Spider came from. All I know is 6 Doctors & Surgeons from 3 different hospitals ID'd it. The biopsy was ID'd by the CDC Poison Center as well. I think I'll take their word for it. Personally I don't care what it was or where it came from. I'm going through HELL with it. I see the suckers they are gonna die PERIOD. The hole is about the size of a nickel only a bit larger and it goes all the way to the bone literally. ALL of the skin, muscles, tendons and tissue have now been eaten away. They no longer exist and the bone is exposed. DAVERS, Nope, no Diabetes or Gout or xyz. They are doing "everything" they can to Neutralize the Venom and stop it from eating away more of the toe. The Venom is now acting like flesh eating bacteria literally. They are also afraid of me getting either bone or blood infections as well. This is a VISCOUS Cycle. They said it will take 6 - 8 months for it to heal and I will have permanent scarring as well. 12 of the toe is "gone" literally. The thing I can't understand is why none of the Doctors have given me any Anti Venom shots yet. I just don't know. Maybe there is none for it. Anyways, I pray that none of you Folks here have or ever get bitten. This is no joke for sure so PLEASE take care out there ok. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB

Yea Mr . BARKER ; tho it may have sounded like it , I never ? , your or the Dr's ID of the Spider that got you.
Historically they were not found that far North & were no Native to the area ....'Neither were Europeans , LOL'

I was gonna mention the "flesh eating bacteria' & I heard some years back that it or a strain of it may originate in Spiders, think Wolf & their Cousins were mentioned.

Thanks for answering my Question about health issues, I truly hope U & the doctors can stop this cycle. I really do.

As a side note ,I don't worship the Earth , Only Jesus but I try not to Kill as many things as possible.
Yes even Spiders , I was not always this way tho ; I used to shoot Birds , Squirrel's with my Pellet Gun & smash almost every bug I saw, I DO KILL Misquotes , Fleas ,Ticks, Roaches , & the Occasional Ear Wig that are everywhere this year.

I don't have an issue with you killing all Spiders you see, If I went through what yr going through I'd also Kill them all.

I try to respect all life but when in ones home or surroundings such 'Room Mates or Visitors can not be tolerated.'

I still try to put all bugs I find in the house outside (away from the home), I feel bad pruning my Trees & Plants.

One more thing to how crazy I am, We had a Carolina Wren nest in our Garage 3 years ago , I really enjoyed watching them get fed , grow , then leave the nest & become independent.

Well the Winter before last one of the Wren's Used the nest as a Roost through the Winter then they built a nest next door.
I was sad but happy they were doing well. I finally took the nest down last Winter.

I went on a Relic hunt one Sunday came home and noticed a brand new Nest near where the other was.
Boy was I happy , I been kinda depressed for the last year, Told my Wife seeing the Nest brought me some Cheer.

Well for almost 2 weeks I could peek up ,make a chirp noise & see Mama bird look out , while incubating her eggs.

Then on Saturday June 3 ; I went out to the garage 30 min after Dark & saw Mama bird just outside the door, hmmm,
I waited about 30-45 min looking into the nest every 10 min or so.

I did not see Mama bird back in the nest ??? then got a dim Flashlight climbed up on a chair & saw something looking out at me but It was NO BIRD ....A dang Snake had found the nest , I got a bucket , long copper wire & got it out of the Nest ;it was about 2+ feet long & about as fat as a Cigar, It was not a Viper or poisonous type.

I got it in the bucket put a lid on it , then got a Ladder & checked the Nest up close , NO Egg's I was to late.

Meanwhile poor Mama Bird is flying back & fourth but won't go to the nest.

Looked at the snake and could see 3-4 small lumps , it had def, eaten the eggs , Well I was Mad AS HECK!

Wanted to kill the Snake but thought it was doing only what was Natural ....So I gave it a good Yelling at before walking 75 yards back in the woods & let it go.

IDK I just figured killing the Snake would have not brought the babies back, Soooo.
Sorry for my rant & again I hope The Lord blesses you & you heal ASAP.

Heck last Spring a Friend saw a Hawk flying over with a Whole Nest in it's Talons.
Davers

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Davers..... You remind me of..... ME! When I see a spider in the house I put it outside. I don't kill poisonous snakes unless their in the yard around my dogs or grandkids (I did make a mistake last summer on one). I felt bad afterwards. Now all my children put the bugs outside as possible as adults now. Now I have killed MANY deer, squirrels, rabbits, quail, pheasants and fish but I always process them and consume.

I just can't outwardly kill because I don't like something. BUT.... I'd kill in a second a person who invaded my home to protect my family. I'd ask questions later.

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Plainfield,IL
Detector(s) used
Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These spiders like to hitchhiking in wood like you buy at gas stations and convenience marts, That is were a person I know got bite.

bluveinthrobber

May 24, 2017
Sumter south carolina
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was born and raised in central illinois. Illinois is loaded with brown recluses. Dont quote me on this but i believe if someone gets bit by a recluse other recluses will bite (if you so happen to get bit again) in the same spot as the prior bite.

ThirtyDollars

Greenie
Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been bit twice by a black widow. Each had me down for a day (felt like a flu) with a big purple spot.

I think the severity of the injury with spider bites depends a lot on the person bit.

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; A few things ok; MudFlap, I hope you did not take what I said the wrong way. I was only saying that I "must" go with the Doctors & Surgeons ID on the Spider ok. Sorry if I came across the wrong way ok.
bluveinthrobber, Yup, the Doctors ae keeping a very sharp eye on it Thanks.
Liimitool, Yup, I can definitely understand what she went through. It is a LOT like I'm going through now. That even though MOST of the dang Venom was killed off by the Antibiotics that flooded my foot AFTER they removed the 3 Blood Clots the Venom caused there is still some Venom left that is trying to exit my foot via the hole it caused in my toe. Thing is that it is trying to eat away more of the flesh of my toe and the Doctors are trying to Neutralize with a special medicine type patch they pack right in the hole but some of the blasted Venom is STILL seeping through. I just can't win on this at all. This one is definitely in Gods hands now for sure. Right now it is a wait and see approach while addressing ANY type of issues that come up. A few days ago there was some infection on the skin but they got that cleared up thank God. The pain is just incredible.I'll keep you guys informed ok.
Davers; I understand and respect your view on killing things. Me, I don't like killing things either but in this case I'm not gonna ask what type of Spider it is any moire or ask if it is poisonous. I see them, They "WILL" die PERIOD.!!! Sorry but that is my View of them now and I ain't gonna change it. I don't want those suckers to have even a remote chance to hurt another person like it did to me. The best way to accomplish that is to just kill them all. Case closed ok. I promiise I won't mention my Views on Snakes ok. Suffice ii to say I hate them with a STRONG passion ok.
There, I hope this clears that up ok. May God Bless All of You & Yours. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

thekspapa

Jul 11, 2016
Ne oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, mine lab 305, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. They are common here in Oklahoma. I've been bite twice and my wife once. When we suspect a spider we go buy a pack of red man tobacco, put a wad directly on the bite and wrap it with an ace bandage. I don't know how it works, but it heals up great with no scars.

Wudnut

May 20, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a lady who almost lost her leg due to the Brown recluse and another friend who got bit and know is all messed up because of it. So i it has eight kegs and hairy- I squish it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers..... You remind me of..... ME! When I see a spider in the house I put it outside. I don't kill poisonous snakes unless their in the yard around my dogs or grandkids (I did make a mistake last summer on one). I felt bad afterwards. Now all my children put the bugs outside as possible as adults now. Now I have killed MANY deer, squirrels, rabbits, quail, pheasants and fish but I always process them and consume.

I just can't outwardly kill because I don't like something. BUT.... I'd kill in a second a person who invaded my home to protect my family. I'd ask questions later.

Yep.
Just like me ,if i kill it I better eat it. Or for somebody in need I'd be glad to Donate.

I feel kinda like the Scene in 'The Deer Hunter' where R. Deniro has the Shot on the Deer but Can not seem to take it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; A few things ok; MudFlap, I hope you did not take what I said the wrong way. I was only saying that I "must" go with the Doctors & Surgeons ID on the Spider ok. Sorry if I came across the wrong way ok.
bluveinthrobber, Yup, the Doctors ae keeping a very sharp eye on it Thanks.
Liimitool, Yup, I can definitely understand what she went through. It is a LOT like I'm going through now. That even though MOST of the dang Venom was killed off by the Antibiotics that flooded my foot AFTER they removed the 3 Blood Clots the Venom caused there is still some Venom left that is trying to exit my foot via the hole it caused in my toe. Thing is that it is trying to eat away more of the flesh of my toe and the Doctors are trying to Neutralize with a special medicine type patch they pack right in the hole but some of the blasted Venom is STILL seeping through. I just can't win on this at all. This one is definitely in Gods hands now for sure. Right now it is a wait and see approach while addressing ANY type of issues that come up. A few days ago there was some infection on the skin but they got that cleared up thank God. The pain is just incredible.I'll keep you guys informed ok.
Davers; I understand and respect your view on killing things. Me, I don't like killing things either but in this case I'm not gonna ask what type of Spider it is any moire or ask if it is poisonous. I see them, They "WILL" die PERIOD.!!! Sorry but that is my View of them now and I ain't gonna change it. I don't want those suckers to have even a remote chance to hurt another person like it did to me. The best way to accomplish that is to just kill them all. Case closed ok. I promiise I won't mention my Views on Snakes ok. Suffice ii to say I hate them with a STRONG passion ok.
There, I hope this clears that up ok. May God Bless All of You & Yours. PEACE:RONB

I totally respect your View as well.
God Bless

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800

I look at it this way, if it is in my home, or is a possible threat, it is dead. I won't go out of my way to do it, but if it is my health or theirs, they lose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread