Out Sand Sifting Again For That Elusive Gold

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
DSCN0042.JPG

My buddy from Costa Rica came back to the Edmonton region, so we hooked up for a water hunt today. A little cold and breezy, but we did put in a solid 8 hours in the lake. The coins were plenty, the rings were not. Probably some 3-4 months ago, the lake was frozen, and some people were playing hockey. A partial hockey stick and hockey puck were found. I also found a Blackberry. It was ruined of course from the water, but I did manage to salvage the "OTTER BOX" protective covering. I believe one of my sons has the same machine, so he can use it.

I'll get the gold next hunt! :)

garrett gals.jpg

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's gold in the phone John. A few hundred more of em and you might have something! :laughing7:

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1013876

My buddy from Costa Rica came back to the Edmonton region, so we hooked up for a water hunt today. A little cold and breezy, but we did put in a solid 8 hours in the lake. The coins were plenty, the rings were not. Probably some 3-4 months ago, the lake was frozen, and some people were playing hockey. A partial hockey stick and hockey puck were found. I also found a Blackberry. It was ruined of course from the water, but I did manage to salvage the "OTTER BOX" protective covering. I believe one of my sons has the same machine, so he can use it.

I'll get the gold next hunt! :)

View attachment 1013877
Take it from an electronics recycler that phone is full of gold!

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's gold in the phone John. A few hundred more of em and you might have something! :laughing7:
They paying 15$ a phone at the mall here and I know there is about 50$ worth of gold in one!

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
They paying 15$ a phone at the mall here and I know there is about 50$ worth of gold in one!

I had never heard o anyone buying phones for their rare metals? I will have to search around Edmonton, as I have several that I have found. Thanks for the heads up!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a lot of old cell phones. When did they use gold in them? I guess what I'm asking is how new do they have to be to have gold in them?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forever! Almost everything with a circuit board has gold in/on it!
oh no now I'm going to be taking apart all my old cell phones and lap tops lol. Anyway is it hard to extract the gold?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyway is it hard to extract the gold?
Damn near impossible! It can be done but the amount of resources ($) used to extract the gold usually outweigh the gold value. And there is NO WAY there is $50 worth of gold in em. We're talking pennies!

$50…lol!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your extraction process is very refined it takes on average 71 cell phones to get 1 gram if gold. Then you have to take in account the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth the equipment it took to extract it. Less than $2 a phone at best so your in for a lot of work to make up the difference.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well dang it there went my get rich quick scheme. Guess I'm gonna have to keep working lol

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your extraction process is very refined it takes on average 71 cell phones to get 1 gram if gold. Then you have to take in account the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth the equipment it took to extract it. Less than $2 a phone at best so your in for a lot of work to make up the difference.

You can get all the stuff you need at Lowes to recover the gold from a cell phone
To refine it you need to get nitric acid and know what your doing or you could boil your skin off!

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well dang it there went my get rich quick scheme. Guess I'm gonna have to keep working lol

I recycle phones and there is quit a bit of gold in them more so than any other circuit boards

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread