Outlaw cache buried eight feet deep?

I dont need a 2-box...I was just making a ststement on timberwolfes thread.. :)
The hole I just dug was 8 foot down, I cant see someone on the run burying anything 8 feet deep!2-3, MAYBE :icon_pirat:

Mr.Jody said:
I dont need a 2-box...I was just making a ststement on timberwolfes thread.. :)
The hole I just dug was 8 foot down, I cant see someone on the run burying anything 8 feet deep!2-3, MAYBE :icon_pirat:

I agree ,,, even a 2 - 3 foot hole on the run is going to take up a bit of time. (on the run)

Can everyone agree that an eight foot hole on the run would be exhausting and time consuming, let alone a totally unbelievable story.

If it were a dried up well and buried on the run, then it would be believable.

Seamuss said:
Can everyone agree that an eight foot hole on the run would be exhausting and time consuming, let alone a totally unbelievable story.

If it were a dried up well and buried on the run, then it would be believable.

I agree.

I have to agree that an outlaw with a posse hot on his trail would not stop long enough to dig an 8' hole...probably just deep enough to hide his loot, and then try to make the ground look undisturbed (drag branches over it, or roll a large rock on top of it). However, in other circumstances, and with more hands available to dig, caches could run pretty deep. From 'History of the Donner Party' written in 1907, the author quotes one of the survivors...

"The word cache occurs so frequently in this history that a brief definition of the interesting process of cacheing might not be amiss. The cache of goods or valuables was generally made in a wagon bed, if one, as in the present instance, was to be abandoned. A square hole, say six feet in depth, was dug in the earth, and in the bottom of this the box or wagon bed containing the articles was placed. Sand, soil, or clay of the proper stratum was filled in upon this, so as to just cover the box from sight. The ground was then tightly packed or trampled, to make it resemble, as much as possible, the earth in its
natural state. Into the remaining hole would be placed such useless articles as could be spared, such as old tins, cast-off clothing, broken furniture, etc., and upon these the earth was thrown until the surface of the ground was again level. These precautions were taken to prevent the Indians from discovering and appropriating the articles cached. It was argued that the Indians, when digging down, would come to the useless articles, and not thinking there was treasure further down would abandon the task. " But," says Hon. James F. Breen, in speaking on this subject, "I have been told by parties who have crossed the plains, that in no case has the Indian been deceived by the emigrant's silent logic." The Indians would leave nothing underground, not even the dead bodies buried from time to time."

The book is Pub Domain, available here - http://books.google.com/books?id=8W...&source=gbs_slider_thumb#v=onepage&q=&f=false

shroompics said:
I have to agree that an outlaw with a posse hot on his trail would not stop long enough to dig an 8' hole...probably just deep enough to hide his loot, and then try to make the ground look undisturbed (drag branches over it, or roll a large rock on top of it). However, in other circumstances, and with more hands available to dig, caches could run pretty deep. From 'History of the Donner Party' written in 1907, the author quotes one of the survivors...

"The word cache occurs so frequently in this history that a brief definition of the interesting process of cacheing might not be amiss. The cache of goods or valuables was generally made in a wagon bed, if one, as in the present instance, was to be abandoned. A square hole, say six feet in depth, was dug in the earth, and in the bottom of this the box or wagon bed containing the articles was placed. Sand, soil, or clay of the proper stratum was filled in upon this, so as to just cover the box from sight. The ground was then tightly packed or trampled, to make it resemble, as much as possible, the earth in its
natural state. Into the remaining hole would be placed such useless articles as could be spared, such as old tins, cast-off clothing, broken furniture, etc., and upon these the earth was thrown until the surface of the ground was again level. These precautions were taken to prevent the Indians from discovering and appropriating the articles cached. It was argued that the Indians, when digging down, would come to the useless articles, and not thinking there was treasure further down would abandon the task. " But," says Hon. James F. Breen, in speaking on this subject, "I have been told by parties who have crossed the plains, that in no case has the Indian been deceived by the emigrant's silent logic." The Indians would leave nothing underground, not even the dead bodies buried from time to time."

The book is Pub Domain, available here - http://books.google.com/books?id=8W...&source=gbs_slider_thumb#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

For those that did not know him, the Timberwolf lost his fight for life. He was a fine Christian and is with the Good Lord now.

As ol' Festus on Gunsmoke might have said, "Thas' hankering to do a whole lotta digging, ain't it, Doc." Nobody in his right mind would stick around to dig a 8 foot hole when a less deep hole would hide that cache just as well...it wasn't like he was afraid someone would come along with the Super Detector and scoop up the goodies. He'd just bury the cache about 2 or 3 feet down and then leave. 8 feet just sounds like way too much digging.

Hi,
i agree digging 8' is a bit too much, but consider the landscape could change over time. To berry something in the celar of building that is no longer there might just add 5' right? A secret tunnel of a structure like a Castle or Chirch could offer axcelent cover for digging and hiding, etc.

regards,
d.

Theres this term used in spanish waybills to describe a distance. For some reason the number 40 is usually used to represent " far enough". In other it might say go 40 leagues to the spring Which really meant keep traveling until you get to the spring. In the Bible the term 40 days and 40 nites is used a lot appearently for the same reason. So maybe the 8' is used in the same contex! That is to mean deep enough. I can't visualize this guy out there with a tape measure! Let me just add that I have never found a casch with more than 12" of dirt over it.

Frankn said:
Let me just add that I have never found a casch with more than 12" of dirt over it.

I sure have. But that is irrelavant,
The hurridly made caches on an outlaw type trail will usually be less than 2 feet.

From one old dog to another old dog, Just how deep have you gone? You got my curiousity up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back