Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
well (pardon the pun),

if he was REALLY paranoid about someone accidentally finding it and had the time it's possible. but i tend to agree with everyone here, highly unlikely. i like the two box approach--and that possible "i dig a feet" idea.

the fun is in the figurin' and findin'.

good luck!

LD

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, has anyone ever tried to back fill an 8' hole so that it wouldn't be immediately noticable , let alone after the first rains which would then settle the loose dirt leaving a depression? Excellent places are the bed of an arroyo itself, a well, or, best of all, inside of a corral.

Don Jose de La Mancha

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
Maybe he buried a 5 foot packhorse with a 2 foot box on its back,that leaves a foot of dirt on top , because if they found a dead packhorse the loot couldnt be far. :laughing7:

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wondered? When a posse is after you because you just robbed a bank, a stage, or somebody where does the shovel come from.Do they put them in there saddle bag? I'm thinking very shallow or under something.(rocks,logs,caves)

K

Kentucky Kache

jog said:
I've always wondered? When a posse is after you because you just robbed a bank, a stage, or somebody where does the shovel come from.Do they put them in there saddle bag? I'm thinking very shallow or under something.(rocks,logs,caves)

I would guess they carried a shovel for such emergencies.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I don't think the 8 feet part is accurate. A standard grave (correct me if I am wrong) in a cemetary is 6 feet deep and for one person to dig that would be a very difficult, if not impossible feat, in a short time.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
It is not impossible. It can be done in a few hours. However, someone on the run to do that sort of work is what is hard to believe.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not impossible.

I think that depends on where you are. Here in Ohio it's usually pretty impossible. I can't dig two feet without hitting so much rock and crap that I have to give up. And that's with all the time in the world, a six pack of Bud Light, and a wife cracking the whip. Surely a posse is more formidable than my wife...

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Timberwolf Old Friend, Only one time did I dig a hole that big with pick and shovel. It was in Catahoula Parish in Louisiana and I would have been about 15 or16 years old at the time.Still a little lite in the rear. It took me two days and I made ten whole dollars, which was four dollars more than I made working two sixteen hour days at the service station in town. Now the bottom of my hole had to be large enough for two 55 gallon barrels to sit side by side, which of course takes more time than a saddle pack.

My guess, like most others here, the hole would have probably been a lot shallower than 8 feet. Good luck old friend. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
GrayCloud said:
Timberwolf Old Friend, Only one time did I dig a hole that big with pick and shovel. It was in Catahoula Parish in Louisiana and I would have been about 15 or16 years old at the time.Still a little lite in the rear. It took me two days and I made ten whole dollars, which was four dollars more than I made working two sixteen hour days at the service station in town. Now the bottom of my hole had to be large enough for two 55 gallon barrels to sit side by side, which of course takes more time than a saddle pack.

My guess, like most others here, the hole would have probably been a lot shallower than 8 feet. Good luck old friend. :thumbsup:

Hey GrayCloud,

I've been wondering if you were still around.
Yeah, I didn't think that caches would be that deep, but I thought I would see what the rest of you thought.

So far, I have not been able to get permission to the hunt the property.
When I do, I know just about where to dig. ;D
It should be worth the wait. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your input!

Timberwolf

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Their seems to be lots of inaccuracies in all the stories I have ever worked on. My take is the
8 feet may be accurate, but not 8 feet deep, it may be 8 feet from one of his markers or maybe
an 8 foot circle of treasure. I know of one recovery where there were 8 bars around a 15 foot
circle.
Good luck
Rich

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
:icon_thumleft: Now Treasure Finder just made a wagon load of good sense. :icon_thumright:.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I agree with Treasure finder Tom,
I have not recovered any outlaw treasure but have a friend or two who have.
They seem to be consistant when they tell me it is usually under a large stone. or just under the surface.
1 to 2 foot deep.
If the guy was in a hurry you will find saddle bags or remnants of bank bagsaround the loot as well.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Timberwolf said:
I have a question for those of you that have found "outlaw caches".

I am working on a lead for an outlaw cache. Without giving you too much information, here is the story:

The outlaw is running from the posse.
He makes it to a point in which his pack horse gives out.
Keeping in mind that this guy is alone, he now digs a hole eight feet deep, to stash his loot.
He then leaves certain markers so that he can come back later and find his ill gotten booty.

My question is, how/why would someone on the run and by themselves, take the time and effort to dig a 8' hole?

Timberwolf

Most robbers probably wouldn't be carrying shovels unless thay planned to use one.And on the run he wouldn't be waiting around digging deep holes. I would say he dug 8 feet from some marker. 8 feet down....down the side of a hill ??? 8 feet down the trail??? 8 feet down the creek??Probably only a few feet deep.

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Will do Mr Jody. ;D

TW

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Saturday morning, I drove out to the site. It took a bit to get to the area that I wanted to search.
Unfortunately, the johnson grass was so thick that there was no way I could swing a coil or even see the ground!
The grass was taller than my Jeep.

I went back home with my tail between my legs. I guess I'll have to wait till winter, after the grass has died, and try again.
What I really need is for all the tall grass to catch fire and burn off. Maybe the land owner will do that for me. ;D

Timberwolf

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timberwolf, was that Johnson grass or bamboo? ;D
One way to work that grass would be to walk a path through the grass while dragging your detector coil behind you. It would take a no-motion detector. Set the sensitivity HIGH and the disc to the lowest setting. I agree with the "shallow" burial idea. No body on the run with a posse close on their tail is going to dig an 8' deep hole. They'd just cut off to the side of the trail, scoop out a shallow hole close by a rock or log, throw in the loot, and cover it back with the dirt and slide the rock or log over the spot. Then brush away the signs of digging, get back on the trail and haul a--.
KVM wrote that the older the story; the larger the value and deeper the hole. ;D
In the west, often the loot was stuffed into a crack in the rocks and covered with smaller pieces of stone.

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Shortstack,

Nearly bamboo, lol. ;D

I had a good friend of mine dowse a map of the area. He said that it was 8' deep.
I bought and read some books on dowsing, but when I tried my hand at it, I was wrong most of the time.
I had several cups on a table and had my wife place a gold or silver coin under one of the cups.
At best, I got the right cup about half the time. :(

I would really like to be able to see the ground though. Most rocks, unless they stick up above the ground a ways, will be obscured by the tall grass, even if I lay the grass over. If worse comes to worse, I may give your method a try though, thanks for the idea. :thumbsup:

TW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread