Outlaw cache buried eight feet deep?

Gentlemen: regarding outlaw loot, I am minded of an incident that took place near here, Chinapas , chih. The Palmarejo Mine smelter was doing custom smelting, as is required by law. The people were at Chinapas having a fiesta, so only the crew of the smelter were there. Just as they finished, They were hit by 5 men who proceeded to kill all but one, who was badly wounded. He told the posse members that he had seen them load up several mules and head for the Palmarejo narrow gauge Railroad.

The posse took off after them and when they arrived at the 1/2 way point, where there was a watering tower,they lost the trail. 'While scouting for sign, one of the posse members spotted where they had tried to hide two bars of Gold. This set off a rush to find the rest, giving the outlaws time to get away, they never found the rest of the bars, nor caught the outlaws. .

When I first arrived in Chinapas in the 50's they took me out to the water tower to see if my detector could find the missing bars, I had no success. They then told me that the outlaw's mules were found in a near by arroyo still with their pack saddles. I also checked that area, but didn't find anything, so we returned to Chinapas with just another nice story

Many years, later my cousin told me an intersting story. It appeared that at a lumber camp where he purchased lumber , there was an old man, the cooks helper, that approached him with an interesting story. The old man told him that he, another gringo, and 3 Mexicans held up a smelter in old Mexico, but unfortunately they had to kill everyone there because of the fight that they made. He said that the people were at another town near by, some 5 miles, which was the reason they had to end the fight as quickly as possible.

He said that they had previously loaded up several mules with heavy rocks to simulate a heavily loaded animal, then buried all but three bars in a prearranged spot on the 'same' property. They then took off driving the mules until they came to a water tower. There they very crudely buried two of the bars, hoping that the posse would do exactly as they did. They then drove the mules to the nearby arroyo where they scattered the rock, then turned the mule loose., and so escaped. The mules loads had obviously been put someplace, but where?. he he ehe

They went north to Chihuahua, where two of the Mexican bandidos were killed in a saloon fight, the third was sent to prison for another crime where he died.. The old man and his and partner escaped to the Us, where he did odd jobs waiting for an opportunity to return to Mexico for the Gold bars. Unfortunately the Revolution exploaded and then drug on for years. It was impossible for him to return.

He told my cousin that he could lead him to the exact spot with no problems, but that he would need a Jeep and only he would be armed. My cousin remembering the old mans' account of killing the workers at the smelter, said "thank you , but but no thanks. Shortly afterwards the old man died.

This is a classic, 'true' example that many outlaws had things prepared before the crime, so almost anything is possible.

Another favorite spot is in a corral. dig a simple shallow trench, putting the loot in it, cover it up, then run the animals over the spot a few times and it was effectively hidden forever.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. I know within 35 meters where the spot is, but haven't had the opportunity to return there with the proper detector. It is in an area covered with broken iron parts and scrap metal. A real worthwhile challenge. I may get ORO and Beth on it.

timberwolf's dream

Wolf and you already know, the key to finding a large and long forgotten cache is persistence overlapped with research. Hang in there Old Pard. Eight feet could have more than one meaning, or it could just be an error. :dontknow:

Hey, Timberwolf. Could that area you're interested in have been a marsh at one time in the past? If the bandits threw their booty into a small marsh pond or a deep hole in an old creek, then it could definitely be 8 ft deep today. Use one of the satelite photo apps and see if there are any indications of old creek beds or ponds in that area.

Real,
Very interesting story. The one I'm working on isn't anywhere near that planned out.
Just a bank robbery, a tired pack horse, and a easy place to bury the loot.

GrayCloud,
Yeah, I'm still not sure where the 8' comes in, but I will continue to look into it until I find it. :thumbsup:

Shortstack,
No, the area has not been a marsh or even under water, as far as I can tell. But, I will keep looking. ;D

TW

Graycloud, your tale makes me wonder what you were burying two oil drums for????

Timberwolf, I've a couple thoughts on this.

1 The robber lied so that it would be harder to find.

2 Your dowser doesn't indicate up or down. Is there a tree or a rock wall nearby. It might be 8 feet up. The robber rides under a tree, steps up on his saddle, and slings the loot over a limb or in a hole in the tree/rock wall.

3 Something filled in the area adding to its original depth.

4 The robber had a hole prepared in advance.

5 There is a belief it is 8 feet down so the dowsing picks up that belief.

Good luck.

MRBeyer, I have the answer to your question.

RedNeck Septic Tank!!! I know it ain't purty, but it works. :thumbsup:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the comments and ideas. :thumbsup:

I talked with my dowsing friend this past week, and ran my idea past him that there might be more than one cache at that location.
He agreed that that was very possible.
He said that his dowsing would "hit" on the larger target, if there were more than one close together.
From what he had allready told me about the target that he dowsed, the target I am looking for should be smaller (worth less).
This could be very good news for me.
I do not have permission to hunt the area that would have his target, but I do have permission to hunt the next property over.
Perhaps what I am looking for is on the side I can hunt. ;D

Timberwolf

How did he get the backhoe in those days. An eight foot hole would have been a two hour job easy. Especially sense he ran his pack horse into the ground. He would have had to get rid of his animal also. Even a grave digger would not be that fast on the run.

Marlin the wizard at your service.

Sea'mus King of the Leprechauns. He should have just left it at the end of the rainbow.

Connecticut Danny said:
Rich
I enjoy your great comments. Good luck to you.

Who's Rich? :icon_scratch:

TW

Depending on where your friend measured from the treasure it could be eight feet deep to the bottom of the pile or eight feet deep to the top of the pile. The simplest way to bury a treasure quickly is to look for an overhang in a weathered arroyo or gulley. Place the loot under the overhang and then collapse the bank on top of it. Depending on the geography he could have found a sink hole or a pothole in the rocks and dumped in his loot and covered it over. siegfried schlagrule

Real de Tayopa said:
HI, has anyone ever tried to back fill an 8' hole so that it wouldn't be immediately noticable , let alone after the first rains which would then settle the loose dirt leaving a depression? Excellent places are the bed of an arroyo itself, a well, or, best of all, inside of a corral.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Absolute Genius...

Does it really matter if its down two feet or eight feet? Its the location of the spot that matters. If you think you have the right spot, you will dig and dig until you find something or decide to quit. You might even go beyond the eight foot mark because of settling and the addition of top layer sediment at the top.

I can tell you first hand, an 8 foot hole is deep and if you are on the run, no chance in hell is that going to happen!I found a "impression" out in the woods, poked a poker into it, and sure nuff', it felt like air.So I dug and dug and dug until there was no more "air" ,absolutly nothing... >:(

Who told you that the treasure is 8 feet deep? I doubt it. Using a 2 box detector should tell you how deep it is. If it that deep, you may need to use a back hoe. Best of luck to you. Buy a red book before you sell any coins..

Connecticut Sam said:
Who told you that the treasure is 8 feet deep? I doubt it. Using a 2 box detector should tell you how deep it is. If it that deep, you may need to use a back hoe. Best of luck to you. Buy a red book before you sell any coins..

By the time a red book is in print, it is six months out of date.
Preferably get a current copy of CoinWorld's Coin Values ... it is updated every month.
(yes, coins change that much in a month)

Right now there's a Fisher Gemini 3 two-box, used, on eBay with a current bid of $126.00. New ones for sale from a dealer for $650 with free shipping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back