Outlaw Estes

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Estes the Outlaw

Well Pard ... You wouldn't be talking about Billie Sol Estes the crooked Democratic fixer with the peanut oil scandal of the 1970s so maybe you want Dick Estes ... he was a little known Oklahoma outlaw who made a sizeable haul in Denver then planted a cache in Comanche County, OK. He left Lawton on the back of a horse he stole from Jim Wilkerson. He was soon captured and lodged in jail. He escaped and remained at large in New Mexico for two years then was recaptured and again returned to Lawton. (page 189, Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales by Steve Wilson - 1976) Perhaps instead you want Lewis Estes ... he was a member of the second Henry Starr Gang. Between September 1914 and mid-January 1915 he robbed 14 banks in Oklahoma with Starr. He also took part in the 1915 Stroud, OK raid and was killed by a posse led by Bill Tilghman. ( 289, A Dynasty of Western Outlaws by Paul I. Wellman - 1961) Quit keeping biographical data in 1985 as it got too dang unwieldy. Best Regards, SS

Attachments

• DSC02771.JPG
    DSC02771.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC02769.JPG
    DSC02769.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02341.JPG
    DSC02341.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC02337.JPG
    DSC02337.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
D

dwight traina

Thank a lot that helps . I would like to know if any body knows how much he got from the Denver hold up

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Outlaw Estes - afterthought

I have not yet replaced my Treasure Guide to Colorado by H. Glenn Carson. He should have detailed info about every major Denver robbery. You may be able to ask him directly through his website at Waybills to Adventure.com Good Luck, SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread