Treasure cache Hunting

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
I am requesting any information on GPRs products good or bad for comparison. I want to do some Deep treasure cache hunting on heavily trashy areas. I currently have a whites XLT,MXT and TM808 MD but am looking into GPR's.

Ground Penetrating Locators
Ground Penetrating Radars.

Any information is appreciated.
Thanks.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
If you have the TM808 you should be pretty well set for deep seeking caches. If you're serious about getting into GPR then check out this site:
http://www.geomodel.com/?source=overture or one of the other services available. Keep in mind you really need to have a big jackpot for that level of investment!
Why not contact one of the museums or universities in town to learn more about GPR first to see where it will fit in with your needs? As for GPL, or LRL, well, I have an extensive background in electronics and after trying my hardest to discover what the electronics behind such devices are, I would suggest you stick with the metal detectors and if you need, go to the GPR.
Here's a possiblity, consider the type of treasure you are seeking, then see if you can approximately reproduce the conditions as you understand them locally, then use your existing equipment to see if it will locate items in the same manner. I am not suggesting that you bury the same type of treasure obviously, but a similar mass of other material may work. If you are cavern hunting, which would be the best application for a GPR unit, then perhaps a day trip out to some of the caves in the Mississippi River valley might do, if you really are thinking about that level of investment. I could direct you to a small cave within a 45 min drive from Chicago if you wanted to try out your TM808 with some material. Lemme know!

T

TheChosen

I am having the similar question and thinking of getting the TM808 or Gemini-3. I would appriciate if anyone can give me any advices on which one to choose or if there is a better one , i would say the GPR would be best for me but i heard the prices go as much as 7000 $ , which is way too much for me :).

Few words about where i intend to use them: I come from macedonia , a country in a very old region of the world with lots of burried gold from the time of turkish ocupation. Basicly i will be searching for small jars ( about liter-two) full of gold coins up to medium small chests.. Most of the time burried from 1 meter to 3 meters ( 5-15 feet). The soil is relatively neutral , not much of mineralization since it is used for agriculture. While i need discrimination to nails and cans since there are expected to be many in the area.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
I can tell you that for smaller things such as jars of coinage, most people would not go to the trouble of burying them very deep. The simple fact is that such a cache would be put there for the purpose of quick extraction in time of need. Perhaps it's best to focus on these possibilities first and see how well that pays off for you? A lot of us here would love to help you hunt, we simply do not have enough sites in the US that date back as far as some of the great Macedonian sites.

The bigger consideration is where in Macedonia you will be hunting. Remember, there's a least a couple thousand years of warfare history there involving metal weaponry, much of which is not altogether salvageable, and more distracting than anything else.

Given these factors I would recommend a high-end metal detector for starters. Check the websites for Fisher, White's and Tesoro. Even my outdated Fisher 1235X can find a pop can 18 inches deep in sand, so consider these things first, get some small payoffs, then invest in the big gear when you have found enough little things to verify your notions of treasure!

And definitely post some pictures on this website.

Attachments

• gold and diamonds.JPG
    gold and diamonds.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 1st silver 2013.JPG
    1st silver 2013.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 19
T

TheChosen

Acctually the site i am primarily interested in is believed to have a larger amount of gold , going up to 100lbs (50kg) , and mostly these are the types of sites i will be aiming at , i am not sure if such large chests would be burried up to 1 meter , i could use some first hand experience of how deep such amounts are normally burried. Also the friends i have there ( i am currently in the czech republic and will be going home for the summer) allready do have shallower detectors , so called coin shooters , going to about 1 meter at max but haven't had much success in finding anything on this site and similar to it but junk.. so i am wondering how valuable would the deep searching detectors prove in the field and which are the best , especially good at discrimination , since most of the time the sites are family property where they live with lots of metal objects burried to 1 feet ( nails, cans , horseshoes) and some are known to have burried treasure from their ancestors.

Attachments

• DSC02835.JPG
    DSC02835.JPG
    838.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02854.JPG
    DSC02854.JPG
    644.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC02832.JPG
    DSC02832.JPG
    797.2 KB · Views: 20

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
I can tell you that there was some folks from this area "Chicagoland" who went to Milwaukee at the request of two ladies there and found their fathers hidden silver cache. It amounted to nearly 1000 lbs of silver coinage buried between two and three meters deep in five milk cans. This story was featured in WE & T a year or two ago. They used a Gemini detector to locate the hoard, then checked the suspected target with their metal detectors. One of the fellows told me he got a signal with one of the Fisher detectors as well, though faint.

T

TheChosen

Well after checking all my options and needs and getting some first hand oppionions i think i will be going for the gemini 3 as it best fits under the balance of my needs and budget i can invest for now. Thanks a lot for the info.
Also a bit info i found for the GPR's in case anyone is interested , particularly the future series. It's not as hot as it may seem at first look , i found mostly mixed reactions to it , mainly of the possibility that a simple rock or a burried dog could show up on the scanned area as an anomaly and it is not as simple to identify if it is really a rock or some gold. Of the info i gathered i came to the opinion that currently there is no 'solve it all' detector but that a combination of several is the best way to go if one has enough budget to invest in them ( correct me if i am wrong).

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Chosen; You are not wrong and seem to be an intellegent and isightful person. I wish you the best of luck and remember,when it comes to gold almost no one can be trusted. Fred

D

dwight traina

Frist off if the gold is in a metal container it is going to say that it is metal and not gold you are going to have to dig every thing that you get a reading on Dwight Traina

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
When dealing with the "two-box" units such as the Fisher and the White's you need to keep in mind that generally speaking they will "look" past the small surface stuff as they are designed to look deeper. This will keep you from needing something with a discrimination feature. As you said, there is no "do it all" detector and having several different kinds is very beneficial, including having more than one brand of two box. I would suggest checking each reading you get with a two box with another detector BEFORE you dig the hole. If a coin shooter or similar machine doesn't get a reading then you will know you are looking at something deeper than 3 feet. You will find that the Fisher will see things the White's doesn't and vice versa. It's all about the soil, depth, object and the operator. Both the White's and the Fisher are good machines and both have their positives and negatives. You can't go wrong with either machine.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
To The "Chosen";
You mentioned that GPRs go as high as $7000 !
Hay!
That's about where they start !
Go to? ?Accuratelocators.com? ? ?and check on the prices for yourself!
Your two box should work for what you are doing!
Either one? of the two boxes that you mentioned are a good units !
Gemini being the older of the two!
But! it has been updated over the years.
"White's 808" is a new version!
"Garrett" also has a good two box!
I guess you "pays yur money and takes yur chances"!
But!
In this case you are dealing with long time businesses!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread