What's new

Over 40 1939-p nickels since 1982!!! Updated 08-10-10

cdickrun64

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
945
Reaction score
724
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering how many 1939-p's people had to findbefore they got a d or s mintmark.??

Guess what i found today? 1939-s, very fine condition!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Over 40 1939-p nickels since 1982!!!

I just took a quick glass at a spreadsheet I kept last year and I found a total of 7 1939s all of which were without a mint mark. Those records are from 12 boxes. Looking at my book, I am still missing the 1939D and 1939S. I have managed to do about 20 boxes in the last year and a half. I know that does not answer your question but it should give you some kind of indication.

I'm picking up two more boxes in the morning and still have two sitting on the shelf. I'm hopeful.
 
Re: Over 40 1939-p nickels since 1982!!!

First off, it will depend on what area of the country you live in.

It will be tougher on the east coast to find the D's and S's.


For me personally from Jan 1, 2007 to now, I have found 576 total nickels from 1939 with 5 of them D's and 14 of them S's.

That works out to 1 in about every 30 1939 nickels I have found has a mintmark.

I am in the upper midwest and that is where most of my searching has been done.


Based purely on mintage, it should be about 1 in 13. Obviously since 1939-D and 1939-S are semi-keys a much higher % have been removed from circulation.

Hope that helps.
 
Re: Over 40 1939-p nickels since 1982!!!

cdickrun64 said:
Just wondering how many 1939-p's people had to findbefore they got a d or s mintmark.??

I'm still waiting for my first D or S.

SO far I have 30 of the 1939, but 0 of the 1939D and 0 of the 1939S.

I'm still looking for my first 1955 too, which is not NEAR as rare, but sems pretty tough to find out here. :-) Those are my only three blanks left to find.
 
Re: Over 40 1939-p nickels since 1982!!!

i have found more than 40 1939 p nickels too as well as 4 or 5 1938 p and the funny thing is i found a 1939 D in excellent shape in about $5 worth of change they had. only mint marked 39 or 38 i have found.
 
Re: Over 40 1939-p nickels since 1982!!!

probably around 10 p's, no mintmarks tho...maybe someday. keep it up and hh!
 
Re: Over 40 1939-p nickels since 1982!!!

I have over 400 1939P, zero 1939D and 7 1939S. 1939D is the only nickel I have not found from the non-proof Jefferson series.
 
Re: Over 40 1939-p nickels since 1982!!!

I have 4 of the 39-p and zero d's and no s-mintmarks either.
 
Re: Over 40 1939-p nickels since 1982!!!

That's impressive! I have one in my Jefferson folder, i may have another, not sure.
I'm not a big fan of nickels, but I need 19 more of 43 to fill my folder, searching nickels is fun, last time I did, I found 320 pre-60, from $70 searched. ffd
 
Updated 08-10-10....i found a 1939-s today (vf),,,,,lol!
 
Have found 18 of 1939,would love to see 1 with a mint mark.Good job on the find. HH :laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom