Overlooked Gold

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped by an estate sale a couple blocks from home this morning. It was company run last weekend and I went back to see what I may have missed from last week. This time the family was basically selling off the remaining stuff. Went into one room and this guy rushes past me to grab a box of jewelry pieces I hadn't noticed in the 30 seconds I was in the room. Kicked myself for not seeing it. So I went into the dining room he had just left. There was random jewelry and cheap watches on the table and I knew he had already looked them over. Then I spied a cheap necklace in a bag pieces for $6. Looked at the bale on the pendant and it was soldered, so I took a chance on it being maybe gold filled. Got to the car and of course he necklace was as cheap as it looked, but the pendant was marked "336 VII 750"! 5g of 18k! I didn't see this bag last week and that other guy missed it this time! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477751810.292325.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477751826.715061.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477751841.233478.jpg

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never give up until the sale is over. Persistence pays off nicely.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never give up until the sale is over. Persistence pays off nicely.

I'll drink to that! [emoji482]. There's been several sales that have been picked through by the time I get there and I've managed to squeak out a tidbit of treasure that someone overlooked in the mad rush! We can't get the mother lode all the time but we don't mind panning the tailings for that lost nugget!

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Got my first gold watch, a nice 14k white gold deco piece marked inside the case, out of a basket with a handful of jewelry pieces left in it as a sale was closing on the last day. I think it was even half off, ended up paying $1.50 or $2.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find! Perseverance and a good L.E.D. mag. glass help me so, so much!

Several weeks ago, my wife and I went back to the second day/half price day of a locally run estate sale. There was a baggie marked "$5.00". I had glanced at it on the first day, but like the many others going through a 3' wide by 5' long oak table filled with zip/loc and stapled baggies of costume jewelry, the TimeX threw me off. Although, I learned from this forum that TimeX made a man's 14kt gold watch two consecutive years when they went to their new electric "PoweR Cell" quartz watch.

On the second day, the pace was much slower and the amount of baggies was smaller, but still covered most of the width and all the length of the same table. I picked up that baggie, again. I took my time and pushed the old quartz TimeX to one side. The larger man's watch was a self wind 1960's Benrus with Spidell twist-o-flex band and the other small watch was what my wife calls "Little Old Ladies" small dial wristwatches. I took my 7X mag with it's bright single focused L.E.D. and slowly shifted the smaller watch to see it better through the stapled shut baggie that was getting a bit foggy from all the lickin' the once clear bag received over the two days. It was a mid 1960's Hamilton. I twisted the watch over and saw that it actually was a 14k, white gold, Hamilton watch. The Perseverance of "looking again" was like the old TimeX slogan and all three watches in the worn baggie cost me $2.50-cents.. The Hamilton was wound and it began running. But, pulling out the stem was hard to set the correct time. The Benrus runs.... Boy,does it run! It gains 15 minutes every hour....

Keep on ticking!

Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions