Ozark Well/Cistern Update, Part I

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I spent a week in the Ozarks, and against my better judgement I journeyed deep into the brush to check out the well/cistern I want to drain and explore. My concern was justified, as I was covered with deer ticks by the time I got back. It was humid as hell, too. I asked some questions and the general belief is that it is a well that is fed by an underground spring, and may have originally been up to 20' deep. That makes safety even more important. I'm glad I didn't rush into it earlier this Spring. Unfortunately, as with "Lost" it also means you (and me) will have to wait until Fall to see what lies beyond "The Hatch".

Now to the good stuff: Pictures! The pictures in Part I of these posts generally are here to establish the general area, terrain and how involved this is turning out to be. If you don't care about any of that, skip to the Part II post of the same subject.

This picture shows how rugged the site is. The whole area is covered with dense brush like this, in addition to numerous large-caliber trees. Speaking of caliber, you don't want to be out here without a firearm--day or night. The closest I will be able to get my truck is 150' at best. Anything I need will have to be packed in the rest of the way:

mvc-001sfixed.jpg

Trail-wise, this is as wide as it gets. Tight fit for a truck, or even a car, for that matter:

mvc-002s.jpg

In the center of the picture, just past the waterfall you might be able to make out the concrete form of the well:

mvc-005sfixed.jpg

This is a shot of the well from about 15' away. Note the water that surrounds it. Water was coming up from the ground in several places. The ground was very swampy; didn't see any snakes. It had been raining for several days, but even in the dry months this is a common occurance. The well is near the bottom of a hill:

mvc-006sfixed.jpg

Click on Part II of this post to see the rest of the pictures...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions