What's new

painted halves

Modern Day Miner

Jr. Member
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Denver
I was going through my normal thursday boxes of halves and found about 10 40% halves that are painted. I was wondering what would be the best way of removing this paint without hurting the coin to bad. I know they are just 40% so it is not that big of a deal. Just curious what is the best way to get these coins clean.

Thanks
MDM
 
Upvote 0
I wonder who would paint 40% halves. :icon_scratch:
 
Modern Day Miner said:
I was going through my normal thursday boxes of halves and found about 10 40% halves that are painted. I was wondering what would be the best way of removing this paint without hurting the coin to bad. I know they are just 40% so it is not that big of a deal. Just curious what is the best way to get these coins clean.

Thanks
MDM
Paint thinner?
 
Nail polish remover or acetone will safely remove the paint. Its better to do this outside, as the fumes are somewhat unpleasant.


-Arkham House
 
ya...i agree, acetone.
good luck! also, nice score on ur halves!

PS: cc, when u say a few years back, do u mean in 1965 or somethhing, cuz as far as i know they have been keepers for a long time?!?!?!?!?!
 
A belt sander should do the trick! I use those on my Hope-a-dope halves.
 
CHAINCHOMP said:
ya...i agree, acetone.
good luck! also, nice score on ur halves!

PS: cc, when u say a few years back, do u mean in 1965 or somethhing, cuz as far as i know they have been keepers for a long time?!?!?!?!?!
Chain my buddy, we stuck our noses up at the 40% back in the '70's, I just don't remember them in the almighty hunt for 90% silver. ffd
 
:hello2: I know this one! I know the answer! Pick me! Pick me! LOL

Actually I ran into a box with 1/2 dozen 1967 Kennedys all painted a shade of red that was shiny and translucent, kind of like the type of paint that was used on blown glass Christmas tree ornaments. I thought it was strange and made a few calls around town with the same questions.

Who would paint them?
Why paint them?
Why all the same year?

The story I kept hearing was fascinating, I loved it, so much that I framed the 6 coins with a copy of the explanation beneath.

Back in the 60's, juke boxes took 1/2 dollar coins. The owner of the establishment, pool hall, soda shop, etc... would take a box of 1/2s, paint them one color on both sides and when no one was playing the juke box, he would drop one into it to "get the party started" and to encourage others to play their music by putting in their coins.

At the end of the week, the company he rented the juke box from would come by, update the music, and empty the coin box, returning all of the painted 1/2s to the owner to be used once again. It benefted them as well because more people would drop in their coins when music was playing.

I thought it was just a cool story and since I collect halves mostly, I just had to pass it on! ;D
 
yep house coins --they were called ---seen quarters like that myself --bars used em a lot -- sad sangs "country songs" often got folks to drinking --and while they drank they often played favorite :crybaby2: :occasion14: :3some:" sad songs" as well -- pity party time --
 
Hi there. You might try soaking the coins in 90-91% isopropyl alcohol (you can get it at your local pharmacy/drugstore). I had an NIFC half a while ago (cupronickel clad) that had some sort of painted sticker completely covering the reverse. I soaked the coin in alcohol overnight, and it came off completely and without scratching or damaging the coin. Just remember to wash the coin with your fingers and some ordinary household dish soap after soaking, as the alcohol can sometimes leave the coin feeling greasy. Good luck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom