Paradigm shift in my gear >> ATP E-Trac XP Deus

Rick James

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, it's been a year now that I've been in the hobby. My AT Pro and E-Trac seem to be working great. The extra 5x8 coil for the ATP is great, and the upgraded RNB Li-ion battery for the E-Trac is amazing. No issues with either Pro-Pointer or Pro-Find 25.

However, as spring approaches, I have been feeling the urge to change things up. I've had my eye on the XP Deus, for its light weight, wireless tech, and excellent target separation and speed. I've seen it compared to the E-Trac, with it hitting just as deep, but being able to find targets masked by iron much more efficiently. I figure I could sell both of my detectors with the accessories and nearly cover the cost of the most expensive package XP offers, with the remote and large wireless headphones.

I could use some help with some pros and cons, as I can't seem to get off the fence with what I want to do.

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really doubt the XP is that much better to warrant the increase in the price. You have two of the best detectors on the market now. I would stick with what i have. I just bought a V3i and i hunt with a guy that has a CTX 3030 that cost $1000 more and I have to say he is pretty darn good with it but I find as much as he does.

OP
OP
Rick James

Rick James

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really doubt the XP is that much better to warrant the increase in the price. You have two of the best detectors on the market now. I would stick with what i have. I just bought a V3i and i hunt with a guy that has a CTX 3030 that cost $1000 more and I have to say he is pretty darn good with it but I find as much as he does.

I know my gear is decent, but it just seems like the XP Deus is a revolutionary piece of hardware. I haven't seen any of the other bigger companies come out anything like this. I wonder if the success of the XP will have those companies moving towards developing a similar system.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get it with the 11" coil. significant depth increase over the 9". Otherwise I cannot tell you if you will be happy with your decision.
I have the Minelab Sovereign and bought an XP deus with the 9" coil (before 11" package). I am so happy with it that the Sovereign collects dust in the corner.
It was just as deep as the Sovereign (10" tornado coil) in the test area. Much better target separation and the light weight made detecting fun again.
No cables getting caught on tree branches/bushes or yanking the headset off my ears because I knelt on the headset wire.

I have a trashy area at a school that I pounded with the Sovereign because I was pulling silver dimes. After I got the Deus, first 2 hrs hunt I pulled 4 more silvers out of the same location.
Since I've had the Deus I have dug over 20 dimes and 2 silver war nickles and a gold signet ring from that same location. After my first hunt with the Deus, it was a no brainer for me, but that is my experience.
Other lower priced detectors may be just as good at target separation, but the amazing tech, simplicity, compactness and program flexibility sets it apart from the standard design.
Lastly, XP has updated the software (which amounts to a model upgrade) 3 times and never charged the users. You know what it cost for a model upgrade to any other detector.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The deus seems to gain lovers everywhere but I have read that it dislikes hi mineralized soil. I can understand that since it's not really a multi frequency machine but a machine with multiple selectable frequencies. If I had the money to test one I would for sure, and since you live in a country where it should t be too difficult to test one, I would do that before I made the change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread