Rough day, lost gear

colebear

Feb 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys, I just bought my XP Deus about a week and a half ago and I've been snowed in the whole time but today I lost my remote before even getting to use it. Wasn't even planning on detecting but the dog was itching for a walk, so I thought I might go and try to visit a nearby cellar to see if I could find a spot with less snow. You have to cross one stream and as I was carrying the dog across the log crossing I lost my footing and fell just barely catching myself on the log, the current was too strong to get any footing so I quickly tried to shuffle with my arms to get across. When I got out on the other side I went to unhook my hip boots which had filled with water and found my XP Deus remote was gone from my belt. My heart sank. The current was really cooking and I knew if it had gone in my chances of finding it were about nil. Went upstream and forded the creek almost going down again and got home to change clothes since it was only 30 degrees out. After I dried up and made sure the dog was OK, I went back and scoured every inch, but had no luck finding the missing remote.

Real bummer, I went out on a bit of a limb financially to get it figuring I could sell my V3i or the Deus after testing them more extensively but I won't have that option now. I'm going to go back and try to fish around with a net tomorrow but hopes are not high. Thanks for reading, any positive thoughts sent my way are much appreciated.

Upvote 0

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch. That remote is $$$. Hope you can find it

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that's a real bummer, I'll put you in my nightly prayers, maybe you will find it.
I look at a little differently though, for it could have been way worse, as in falling and bonking your head then drowning..things can always be worse.
Please be safe tomorrow and try and stay dry.

Mike

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys, I just bought my XP Deus about a week and a half ago and I've been snowed in the whole time but today I lost my remote before even getting to use it. Wasn't even planning on detecting but the dog was itching for a walk, so I thought I might go and try to visit a nearby cellar to see if I could find a spot with less snow. You have to cross one stream and as I was carrying the dog across the log crossing I lost my footing and fell just barely catching myself on the log, the current was too strong to get any footing so I quickly tried to shuffle with my arms to get across. When I got out on the other side I went to unhook my hip boots which had filled with water and found my XP Deus remote was gone from my belt. My heart sank. The current was really cooking and I knew if it had gone in my chances of finding it were about nil. Went upstream and forded the creek almost going down again and got home to change clothes since it was only 30 degrees out. After I dried up and made sure the dog was OK, I went back and scoured every inch, but had no luck finding the missing remote.

Real bummer, I went out on a bit of a limb financially to get it figuring I could sell my V3i or the Deus after testing them more extensively but I won't have that option now. I'm going to go back and try to fish around with a net tomorrow but hopes are not high. Thanks for reading, any positive thoughts sent my way are much appreciated.

I feel where ur coming from buddy beleive me i recently had everythin stolen deus Atpro coils pinpointers,diggers evetything over $3 grand about, hopefully you will find it & it wont be in the water. Best of luck to ya

OP
OP
C

colebear

Feb 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, a little commiseration helps me feel better about it. Mike you are absolutely right, my dog means a lot to me and is not large. If he went in I think he would have drown which would have been just about as devastating as losing my brother. That and the way my boots were filling up in the current, I could have ended up a gonner too. Scary for sure, but I have basically come to terms with losing the unit, the tangible loss is the 750 it will cost me to replace the unit and the hip holster.

I will have to pick up a bunch of odd jobs while doing my "real" job search and studying for the GMAT in the event that I don't get a real job soon. Thanks guys, I'll let you know if I have any luck!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good luck to you brother... it will all work out

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that really sucks. Get the V out and backtrack the path you took before you hit the stream on the off chance it fell out earlier. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

colebear

Feb 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, a little commiseration helps me feel better about it. Mike you are absolutely right, my dog means a lot to me and is not large. If he went in I think he would have drown which would have been just about as devastating as losing my brother. That and the way my boots were filling up in the current, I could have ended up a gonner too. Scary for sure, but I have basically come to terms with losing the unit, the tangible loss is the 750 it will cost me to replace the unit and the hip holster.

I will have to pick up a bunch of odd jobs while doing my "real" job search and studying for the GMAT in the event that I don't get a real job soon. Thanks guys, I'll let you know if I have any luck!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear. Is the remote considered submersible? If so, maybe later in the spring the water level will drop enough for you do another search.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunatly its not submersable, just for sake of I know how it feels to lose stuff, for those with the deus xp you might want to invest in a fully waterproof iPhone case its basically like a small ziplock drop phone in it & its got a neck strap, I used one while at beaches for sake of sand blowing salt water ect, you could actually drop it in water & will not be harmed, can get em on feebay

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Lousy luck! So glad you and your dog came out okay! :icon_thumright: I like the guy's suggestion that possibly your remote fell off before you reached that creek, worth checking out though it's a long shot. Good luck for the future! Andi

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to talk about a rough day Metal detecting. Couple years ago I was in the middle of the desert in Arizona beautiful sunny day lit a cigar got out of my 2007 expedition. I was about 50 feet from the vehicle metal detecting. I noticed clouds going overhead. Well there were no clouds in the sky. I looked over to my expedition and saw flames shooting out the window the driver side. The car was fully involved by the time I got to it. I open the back hatch and pulled out the tarp with all my metal detecting gear on it. I moved away from the vehicle because I had 45 shells in there and they were going off. The gas tank ruptured and enveloped all my metal detecting gear. I lost over $7000 worth of goods in my vehicle. It took the fire department and hour to get to the vehicle there was nothing left of it. That's a bad day metal detecting

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lenjsr- that was a really bad day, I hope you had ins to cover it.

Colebear if the stream is fast running and the remote light weight it may be down stream hung up in either rocks or bushes etc. If found maybe it can be dried out and fixed, best of luck!

christo000- where did your stuff get taken from car or house? Now your scaring me!

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes insurance homeowners covers it. Thank god

OP
OP
C

colebear

Feb 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey beepbeep, went back with my wading boots and trudged down along the banks to see if I could find it anywhere but the search was pretty hopeless feeling. Poked around for another hour staying our of the fastest parts but with the amount of over growth and briars along the banks seeing anything on the banks was real tough and the water is tannin stained from the beeches and exposed roots so visibility is not great. Anyways, my focus has shifted to making money to buy a new one hopefully. Talking to neighbors to try and locate bottle dumps worth digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread