Park search yields First Silver + Skewered a Ring

DanKnug

Jun 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Arose at the crack of dawn to hunt a small neighborhood park. Not very long into the search, my second find of the day was my first silver coin ever - a 1941 Mercury, only 3 inches down. Oddly, I was not all that excited about finding it, and I certainly wasn't expecting it after always digging clad coins. I may have been more excited about the aluminum die that I found later. After searching for about 1-1/2 hours and finding clad coins, I walked back to the house to eat some breakfast.

Later in the day, I talked my daughter into returning with me. She had never hunted before, and she didn't want to just watch me, so I let her operate the AT Pro. She got some mixed signals at the base of a large oak tree - the readings ranged from 45 into the 60's with a flash of an 82 ???, all in a small area between two extremely large roots extending from the base of the tree. It was very difficult to dig between the two roots - just enough room to pry the dirt up using my Lesche digger tool. Digging down a couple of inches revealed a soft drink push tab that had been enveloped by the growing tree root. I was not able to pull it out. I stuck my pinpointer into the hole and it detected something else in the hole. I kept digging and probing with the pinpointer and finally got no further detection. :icon_scratch: I scanned the hole with the AT Pro and only got a signal consistent with the push tab in the root. We then moved on and continued searching elsewhere when we got a penny signal. As I squatted down to dig, I noticed a ring that was impaled on my digger tool. It was from the hole in the tree roots! The force of my digging had flattened the ring securely around the end of the blade! It took some doing to get it off. That was pretty exciting! I was a little disappointed that I had distorted the ring (925 sterling), but it was an interesting way to have discovered it. :laughing7: Later we found a kiddie ring in the wood chips around a swing set, and also a couple of toy cars (Hot Wheels and a Fire Truck [made in the USA! Rockford, ILL])

All_finds.jpegring_close.jpegspeared_ring.jpeg

Upvote 9
Well that is just crazy about the ring. Lol. Congrats on the coin and the ring.

Grats on the finds! The ring can probably be stretched out to a circle again with a ring sizer.

That's a unique way to recover a target! Its really not that bent, I'm sure you could straighten it out.

that fire truck is a ridgetoy fire truck made around the 50's i have one like it tho its in worse shape

That's one way to get something from under a root, a good jewelry shop might be able to repair the ring...Great finds

Great silver that's an old toy fire truck. I dug that one and it dates from the early 1950s!

The lesche ring retriever. I need one. Lol

Nice find on the merc too. Still waiting on mine

Nice job pulling the ring signal from the tree root and then not giving up. Even a little damaged it is a nice piece. Digging the shiny silver of a ring or a coin is great thrill and it makes you go back to see if there is more.

Great story, good finds, now go back and get more!

that's the one that didn't get away

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back