Digging Pull Tabs Doesnt Pay!

simmonds

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Spent a couple hours today at a local HARD HIT park and figured I'd try digging pull tab signals to see if it would pay off. Well after digging 68 pull tabs in the blistering sun without any real goodies, I finally realized why everyone notches or discriminates these buggers out. Only paid off with 8 lousy memorials, small brass flag buckle thingy, and a very small sterling silver ring. Well suppose it wasnt a total skunk with the silver find but boy oh boy!...the parks are loaded with these little pull tabs. How are you fellows finding all those gold and chunky silver rings if you are leaving all these danged pull tabs behind? ???:laughing7:8-)

Oh well, I have been away from detecting for several years and it feels GREAT to be back! Had to find another MD and got this little Whites Classic ID on Craigslist for $125 and it is a great performer and quite HOT as well. Pull tabs or not, it's GREAT to be back swingin'

Upvote 2

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 3 Gold Rings last year with my White's Classic I, and you have the bigger brother. A huge difference between working a single tone no ID machine and one that ID's. There are some places where I would rarely dig a pulltab signal and others that I would always dig them. I've never dug 68 in one hunt. Though with that ratio, you could easily get 1 pound in about 15 - 20 hunts and that would get you $1.90 at a recycle center.:headbang: Seriously, I hope your luck improves.

Mariposa Gold

Bigshooter 67

Greenie
Apr 29, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT-Tesoro Compadre- White's Surf PI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I commend you for your work ethic, I'm pretty sure nobody else would take this on!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Simmonds welcome back! Thanks for cleaning up those tabs =)

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to spend a few minutes digging those tab signals to slowley clear the area out. I dont dig as many as you. I also pick a lot of the and bottle caps off the ground. To add to this list, small pieces of foil go into the pouch too. Makes for a much nicer hunt the next trip out.

OP
OP
S

simmonds

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Thanks guys...I think ;). I tell you what, I could go back tomorrow and dig hundreds more if I wanted too. WTH! These kinds of push tabs are supposed to stay on the can...why the heck do so many wiggle them back and forth till they break then lodge them under the turf?!? Must be a lot of evil anti metal detecting folk out there lol. The old classic ID does a great job indentifying these tabs though, but I still couldn't resist. Got to learn to trust the machine...it knows more than I.

OP
OP
S

simmonds

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Oh yeah, and you'd think digging pull tabs in a park that just a few days ago had hundreds of fireworks spectators would pay off better than this! Some or many must have beat me to it. Probably the morning after the 4th.

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know something? I feel your pain brother! At the same time though, I once did the same thing....told myself "screw it", I'm going to dig all the tab signals for a day and see where it gets me...I ended up finding a 1.6 gram 14k hockey mask charm, among a heap of tabs. Some days are better than others I guess...I think my charm was beginner's luck to be honest, I had only been detecting for a month at the time, some people go years without the Au...not to mention, my Tesoro Vaquero is unforgiving when it comes to finding gold. It took me three months to even halfway finesse my understanding of it's physics. The next detector I buy will have a screen! Although, I will keep the Vaq for relic hunting due to the fact of how deep it beeps the relics/ HH-James

Last edited:

MTHershey

May 2, 2013
I admire your ethic, but I can't get myself to do it. I hunt a very old fairgrounds and there are hundreds of pop tab signals. They even told me a woman lost a gold and diamond ring there and I still can't commit to that much digging. After the 10th one or so, I'm done!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up on digging pull tabs ! That is where the gold is ! I know it's sucks digging all the trash but if you don't it will be hard to find gold :icon_thumright: I have heard that it takes 100 pull tabs for every one gold item . Good luck !
Glen

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up on digging pull tabs ! That is where the gold is ! I know it's sucks digging all the trash but if you don't it will be hard to find gold :icon_thumright: I have heard that it takes 100 pull tabs for every one gold item . Good luck !
Glen

I agree it sucks but you have to do it to get that GOLD! And lets not forget the foil :BangHead:

grlangfitt

Mar 29, 2013
Powhatan, Va
Detector(s) used
BH 505
AT Pro
Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The digging Gods are just reminding you of the way it was way back when you got out of detecting. Dig 100 tabs then dig a penny....lol

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only dug eight gold rings in aproximately nine years of detecting , and most have been in the nickel/pulltab range - but you might
try to play your "hunch" or gut feeling about how many of these you'll dig in a given area on a particular hunt . Like one of the earlier
posts mentioned , site selection for gold jewelry losses/finds -plays a part in your decision here as well . Your patience will be rewarded.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awww...man....where do you hunt?....if you don't dig foil &up....I will... Mainly bc I got gold fever last week when I dug 2 gold bands in 3 days....since then, I've got 3 more rings, but they r junnnkkk, except one, maybe, that may be something good, havnt got it checked tho... ...don't give up on those signals....you'll hit it big sooner or later.. patience is key, and it walks hand in hand w perseverance..
GL&HH

-beav3r

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there done that & will do it again u just gotta be in the mood & have nice weather , the silver ring def, saved your day, also I see you got a lot of the newer style pulltabs[ [ if someone is not going to save them, then why take them off the can].. For the GOLD thats what you have to dig IMO . Good luck in the future.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the ancient treasure legends a dragon always guarded the gold, today the pull tabs guard the gold, I call them "teeth of the aluminum dragon". I can usually handle only so many "bites" before I notch them out, foil wads too, they are the "droppings" of the aluminum dragon. That's a lot of teeth you got there! More than I could handle. :notworthy:

dragon.jpg

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK.. First off these are not really pull tabs.. they are "pop tops" .. and half of a pop top at that, They came up with this design to keep people from pulling off "pull tabs" and discarding them. Which brings me to my next question.....
Why are these still not attached to the can. That is why the government took away my "pull tabs" so I would stop breaking my pull tabs in half and using the tongue portion to fling the circular part in the air like a mini Frisbee disc thing
Pop Top Close-up Stock Image - Image: 5557421
File:Beverage pull tab.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Crud.. forgot to post.. Somewhere in these forums just a week or so old, is a thread about a lady tieing a string to these, and selling them in her shop for $10.00 USD each and calling them necklaces ( so you got a couple hundred bucks there LOL hahahaha ) LOL

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent a couple hours today at a local HARD HIT park and figured I'd try digging pull tab signals to see if it would pay off. Well after digging 68 pull tabs in the blistering sun without any real goodies, I finally realized why everyone notches or discriminates these buggers out. Only paid off with 8 lousy memorials, small brass flag buckle thingy, and a very small sterling silver ring. Well suppose it wasnt a total skunk with the silver find but boy oh boy!...the parks are loaded with these little pull tabs. How are you fellows finding all those gold and chunky silver rings if you are leaving all these danged pull tabs behind? ???:laughing7:8-)

Oh well, I have been away from detecting for several years and it feels GREAT to be back! Had to find another MD and got this little Whites Classic ID on Craigslist for $125 and it is a great performer and quite HOT as well. Pull tabs or not, it's GREAT to be back swingin'
I have at least a dozen or more gold rings, several are diamond that all sounded the same as pull tabs..

You discriminate out pull tabs you will be leaving gold for someone else to find.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have heard that I should always dig the tabs for the gold rings and such. Think I'll just do this next time I go out for the hell of it. I'll take some kind of cushion to sit on...maybe rig up a short pistol grip for my coil and wear the brain on my belt...that way I don't destroy my knees...yep just slide around on the ground pulling tabs. Call me frugal but I scrap my tabs...every damn discernible piece of metal I find that isn't nostalgic or collectable...goes to scrap.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have heard that I should always dig the tabs for the gold rings and such. Think I'll just do this next time I go out for the hell of it. I'll take some kind of cushion to sit on...maybe rig up a short pistol grip for my coil and wear the brain on my belt...that way I don't destroy my knees...yep just slide around on the ground pulling tabs. Call me frugal but I scrap my tabs...every damn discernible piece of metal I find that isn't nostalgic or collectable...goes to scrap.

Do you have to separate everything yourself or do they do it for you at your scrapyard?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread