Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this is a little park that usually only yields clad and modern stuff. I have found a few pieces that suggest there may have been homes here before they made the park and I have no idea how old they were or when the park was created.

This piece is a mystery. With the engraving and lettering, it looks old. I believe it is silver. It passed the ice cube test, but I don?t want to use acid on it for a more definitive test. It is thin and has a hole in the middle that looks like someone drove a nail or something through it. Most of the front looks hand engraved and the number on the front matches the number stamped on the back. Also on the back on the edge you can see a Roman numeral 8 (VIII). The engraving under the numbers is hard to decipher. The edge bottom letters look like WELLED with a possible S in front of that. You can only see the tops of the middle lettering. If anyone recognizes this item please chime in. I have no idea where to start the search for this one.

8C87B1FF-2CC8-4CC4-BFA2-89484E93B01B.jpeg 12B2E5E6-4307-4773-A4E3-6F04CCD9E67E.jpeg 0FBD5844-4210-4D1D-9295-C1115C79395A.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pocket watch cuvette.

I thought the cuvette was the 'dust cover'; the second (inner) cover-.
If so, the hole would have been created after the watch was built IMO.
Don..

The WELLED could be JEWELLED and for the Grammer Police JEWELLED and JEWELED were used interchangeably.

Thanks folks I do believe you have solved the puzzle. It does indeed look like the inner dust cover (cuvette) of a key wound pocket watch. Looking more closely with that in mind you can see half of the hinge beside the Roman numeral 8. (Circled in red below). This hinge looks like others I have seen on older watches. Looking closely at the center hole I believe the hole was originally smaller and was enlarged over many years of use. It is possible the original key was lost and the replacement was bigger and the hole need to be enlarged. The letter in front of the W looks like it could be an E for JEWELLED.

5E03B128-FA62-4EFA-AA32-1AAA5F631B9B.jpeg

Well done and thank you SCpicker for your quick ID, Mackaydon for your suggestion about the hole, and ffuries for your explanation of the spelling. You folks are one of the reasons I post on treasurenet. The knowledge readily shared is a wonderful resource for all of us.

Any thanks, stay safe and keep swingin.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks folks I do believe you have solved the puzzle. It does indeed look like the inner dust cover (cuvette) of a key wound pocket watch. Looking more closely with that in mind you can see half of the hinge beside the Roman numeral 8. (Circled in red below). This hinge looks like others I have seen on older watches. Looking closely at the center hole I believe the hole was originally smaller and was enlarged over many years of use. It is possible the original key was lost and the replacement was bigger and the hole need to be enlarged. The letter in front of the W looks like it could be an E for JEWELLED.

Well done and thank you SCpicker for your quick ID, Mackaydon for your suggestion about the hole, and ffuries for your explanation of the spelling. You folks are one of the reasons I post on treasurenet. The knowledge readily shared is a wonderful resource for all of us.

Any thanks, stay safe and keep swingin.

We're all one big happy family and we all bring something to the table.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread