Part of Samauri/Kattanna(?) Sword?

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:,Hello everyone !,If i should be in "what is it" please move( :notworthy:,jeff,PBK)...I recently got this with a recent knife/military buy.It has me confused(not to hard to do!),The ivory" is real,appears to be bone/antler of sort's...I don't know what it's from(animal,etc.),No markings on blade which is approx.From handle,11.5in.,Overall approx.15in.Blade seem's of military style or look's like a "combat" style blade.The two peice's(handle&seperate peice)Do not match,Meaning they don't line up end to end,side by side(shorter),etc.
Any info.,Input,etc. on item will be greatly appreciated,Thank's for looking&listening ! HH ALL !!!

Attachments

• Picture 2620.jpg
    Picture 2620.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 647
  • Picture 2611.jpg
    Picture 2611.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 505
  • Picture 2613.jpg
    Picture 2613.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 382
  • Picture 2615.jpg
    Picture 2615.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 394
  • Picture 2621.jpg
    Picture 2621.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 402
  • Picture 2616.jpg
    Picture 2616.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 370

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have an answer on the bone handle or carvings. The Japanese would use a small blade simular in length, about 15 inches like the one you have to commit Hari Kari which also known as sepuku, one would take a wakizashi (short sword) and dissembowel oneself.

If there are no markings one the blade close at the tang, (closest to the handle), then it could be just an after market knock off.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
The carving is very well done. From the pictures it appears that you have two handles and no scabbard. Stu Ogen was my oriental blade expert, unfortunately he has passed on.

If you post more pics of the blade itself and any markings on the tang I might be able to help. Swords are sold blade only with the handle, tsuba (guard) etc. as extras. This is due to the fact that blades held up better than the handle material and were quite often replaced. Hope this helps.

Jan 20, 2011
It is a low quality Japanese sword with ox bone mounts. These type was meant for the tourist trade and the blades were not real Japanese sword blades ''nihonto". A good quality Japanese blade would always be attached to the handle by a wood pin passing through the handle and the sword blade, making it easy to remove the blade. The Japanese did make very high quality swords of this type, here is a picture of one and a link to a thread from another forum with some very nice carved fittings.
http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8390&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=ivory

file.php

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread