What's new

Partially worked arrowhead

Worm-Slicer

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
1,104
Golden Thread
2
Location
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't specialize in Indian relics, but I have found a bunch while out relic hunting where I live. Found this one of an arrowhead partially worked in the larger piece of flint and was wondering if anyone else has found any like this? If so, I would love to see photos. Last photo shows it compared to other arrowheads found the same day Picture 057.webpPicture 054.webpPicture 056.webpPicture 060.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure what you have is just a Tool of some kind and not really the start of a Point.
 
I'm pretty sure what you have is just a Tool of some kind and not really the start of a Point.

Thanks for your input, but I must kindly disagree. The bottom portion is unworked like the upper section and is just a big hunk of flint. I posted a photo of other arrowheads found nearby on the same day. You can even see the notch starting to appear on the right and it's identical to the arrowhead on the right side in that photo. The worked part is the same thickness of an arrowhead and the part not worked is much thicker.
 
I’d have to agree with grim reaper. I believe the amount of good flint to choose from for the natives would have given them no reason to try and mine one out of a chunk of flint. I believe they would Would have flaked off spolls and just made a point. I believe it to be a tool. Cool finds tho man!
 
Maybe a graver. It would be to hard for them to remove that large chunk in the next step. They set up a platform on each piece to drive the next piece off. It was a meticulous process. Expedient expendable tool is what you have.
 
I agree with grim and sportsman al.

Arrowheads are not made like you think. The appendage on that piece looks similar to a point, but it surely is not an arrowhead in place he making. Arrowheads are made from flakes.
 
Some nice little points there. SW Virginia. What county?
 
Okay I was wrong then.lol Like I said, I'm a novice at Indian artifacts. It just looks so much like an arrowhead. Oh well, it is what it is and can't argue with those with more knowledge than me. I live in Tazewell County, Virginia. You can go on almost any plowed field here and find Indian artifacts. This field I found these was from a few hours of looking when relic hunting wasn't going so good that day. I can find about this amount every time I go to that field, especially so when it's been plowed.
 
Okay I was wrong then.lol Like I said, I'm a novice at Indian artifacts. It just looks so much like an arrowhead. Oh well, it is what it is and can't argue with those with more knowledge than me. I live in Tazewell County, Virginia. You can go on almost any plowed field here and find Indian artifacts. This field I found these was from a few hours of looking when relic hunting wasn't going so good that day. I can find about this amount every time I go to that field, especially so when it's been plowed.

if that’s the case you should be starting a new hobby and get going there more often.
 
if that’s the case you should be starting a new hobby and get going there more often.
Well I could easily get into doing more Indian artifact hunting, just wish I had more time to do so. My dad's cousin lived just up the road before he died, and had totes(not small ones, but the 1-2 foot tall ones) filled with arrowheads, spearpoints, axe heads and who knows what. All from one field across the road from his house at the time. I've saw the location and it's about 100 feet square feet or so of property, but unfortunately that place was graded about five years ago. Thought of going there to look on the outskirts to see if I could find anything though. Lots of good places to look around here for sure. I can't tell you how many times I've been digging an object with my metal detector and an Indian artifact pop out.lol My best find that way was a gaming stone. When it popped out first thing I thought was what is that little sausage paddy thing?lol
 
did you post the gaming stone?
Bill
Hi, Bill. Nope, I didn't post that. I'll have to look through my boxes of relics for it. I haven't looked at it in a few years. I have another one that is about 5 inches across and an inch or two thick that is exactly like a gaming stone too, but have no clue what it could be as it's quite large. Not sure if gaming stones came that large or not. I'll make a separate post when I find those out though. Thanks for asking.
 
Hi, Bill. Nope, I didn't post that. I'll have to look through my boxes of relics for it. I haven't looked at it in a few years. I have another one that is about 5 inches across and an inch or two thick that is exactly like a gaming stone too, but have no clue what it could be as it's quite large. Not sure if gaming stones came that large or not. I'll make a separate post when I find those out though. Thanks for asking.
would appreciate it, I am in Costa Rica and these ´discoidal´ round /ground stones seem to include quite disparate types, am trying to understand how to even phrase the question (one from Guerra, CR is larger and dimpled in the center of both sides)
Bill
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom