WYO_Yote

Jul 2, 2018
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I went to an overhang that was close to a creek and started to dig around. Stumbled into some artifacts that left me speechless. The first find was the "knife". I have asked around and the experts are saying it is a Shonsini knife, I was so pumped to find such a piece in such excellent condition. I posted the "knife" in another TN forum, many folks have differing opinions on the artifact and its origins.

The other artifacts, the scraper and what appears to be a "fire starter" where dug up in the same area and at the same depth.

Does anyone out there know or have seen such a stone with these types of marks?

The last couple of points/bone fragments where found at a much deeper depth and appear to be from a different maker, both in time and style. Im located in SE Wyoming.

Any info would be appreciated!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_dcc.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dcc.jpeg
    862.8 KB · Views: 75
  • fullsizeoutput_dcf.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dcf.jpeg
    989 KB · Views: 91
  • fullsizeoutput_dce.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dce.jpeg
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 89
  • fullsizeoutput_dcd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dcd.jpeg
    621.9 KB · Views: 78
  • fullsizeoutput_dd0.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dd0.jpeg
    847.2 KB · Views: 85
  • fullsizeoutput_dc5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dc5.jpeg
    977.7 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If someone has any details on his first point I would like to hear it. I don't think I have ever seen one like it. Excellent find.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , the first point may be a Harahey knife which would make sense to be closer to the surface than the notched points as its Mississippian time period , I thought shaft straightener as well but groove doesn’t look very deep I wonder if could have been used to sharpen bone pieces ?

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the cause for differing opinions on the point. Hell Gap, Shonsini, Harahey, whatever it is, it's a hell of a find. The flake knife is a good one with great edge work. Those two corner notched points are heartbreakers and would really get me pumped in looking that site to death. You're definitely on a good spot. You might rotate the second item in the last pic 90 degrees clockwise to give a better idea of what's what. Great stuff there!

OP
OP
W

WYO_Yote

Jul 2, 2018
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A professor at the university who labeled the first point a “Shoshoni knife” sent me this image. He also stated that the find is unusual because it is outside the Shoshoni territory. Apparently the Shoshoni followed the buffalo herds around which makes sense as there are several buffalo drops close by.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554816468.284980.jpg

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That illustration shows beveling. Can you provide a picture showing any beveling at the point and stem?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Knife! :icon_thumleft: You also have a nice little uniface knife shown in the third photo along with the abrader. The knife in your first photo could have been traded since most likely at one time the Crow Indians claimed most south and central Wyoming as their hunting grounds (later historicaly). But it is also believed that they also hunted at an earlier time from Utah and down in Colorado.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beleive the grooved stone may be a shaft abraider or abraider of some sort. I have seen examples of shaft abraiders that come in pairs 1 for the top of the shaft and 1 for the bottom. JMHO

OP
OP
W

WYO_Yote

Jul 2, 2018
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! Can't say enough about TN and the community of great people who are part of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions