Paul Dabois, AKA "Don Gilbert" has Passed the Bar....

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
A great personal friend of mine, Paul Dabois known by many as "Don Gilbert" or "The Motherlode" died yesterday after a considerable bout with the Big "C" over the past two years.

Paul was a successful undersea explorer / treasure hunter who worked on the "down low" for over three or four decades out of Port Salerno. He used an inflatable and a small hooka rig and found surf zone treasures many of you dream of finding but preferred to avoid publicity and searched pretty much for the love of it.

As a Decorated Vietnam Era Disabled Veteran collecting two 100 % pensions - Paul had little need for work and devoted most of his time to diving and classic car restoration and traveling back and forth to Hawaii where he had a second home.

Paul was a unique guy... His fire crackers were "Flash / Bangs"... He liked his weed, of course for medical purposes!!! And is survived by his wife of over 40 years - Laura... and will be sorely missed by those of whose life he touched...

Did any of you know Paul?

Last edited:
OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
A great personal friend of mine, Paul Dabois known by many as "Don Gilbert" or "The Motherlode" died yesterday after a considerable bout with the Big "C" over the past two years.

Paul was a successful undersea explorer / treasure hunter who worked on the "down low" for over three or four decades out of Port Salerno. He used an inflatable and a small hooka rig and found surf zone treasures many of you dream of finding but preferred to avoid publicity and searched pretty much for the love of it.

As a Decorated Vietnam Era Disabled Veteran collecting two 100 % pensions - Paul had little need for work and devoted most of his time to diving and classic car restoration and traveling back and forth to Hawaii where he had a second home.

Paul was a unique guy... His fire crackers were "Flash / Bangs"... He liked his weed, of course for medical purposes!!! And is survived by his wife of over 40 years - Laura... and will be sorely missed by those of whose life he touched...

Facebook Bart Hetfield Post on Don Gilbert

Yvonne Addario
and Captain Dominic Addario
introduced me to Paul Dubose a while back. He was one of those guys that always had a smile and whenever he showed up he came bearing gifts and great stories. This guy always had a new hot rod and cool guns. Would pull impressive pieces of shipwreck treasure out of his pocket or briefcase and start telling tales of adventure and skullduggory.

Wow another one crosses over the bar.
RIP my friend.

Last edited:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A great American, RIP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions