Pawn Shop Silver (and non-silver) Finds

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dropped in a local pawn shop just for the heck of it a while back. I saw a candy jar full of foreign coins being sold for a nickel apiece. So I dug in and came up with some goodies:
DSC00119.JPG
1876 Germany 50 pf., 1922 British Florin, 1890 Finland 50 Pennia, 1945 Philippines (Commonwealth) 20 Centavos, 3 Philippine (Commonwealth) 10 Centavos (1944, (2) 1945, Norway 10 Ore, 1945 Netherlands 10 Cents

I also found some non-silvers as well:
DSC00124.JPG
1915 Russia 2 Kopeck, 1876 Russia 3 Kopeck, 1893 Austria 20 Heller, Germany 2 Pf. 1874 & 1876, 1876 Germany 10 Pf., 1926 Philippine (US Territory) 5 Centavos, Germany 5 Pf. 1906 & 1918, and 1944 Philippine (US Commonwealth) 5 Centavos.

I also picked up 3 1921 Morgans 2 D's and an S for spot silver price. (forget what it was at the time)
DSC00125.JPG

I didn't let the guy in the shop know that the foreign coins were silver either! (in case more ever come in!)

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picks on the foreign silver and such. Wish they had pawn shops like that around here. You'd be lucky to get junk silver at double spot and forget about any type of jewelry, outrageous.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do those coins say "United States of America" on them?

Yes, after the Spanish American War, the US colonized the Philippines. The US mints produced Philippine coins starting in 1904 and I believe up to 1945, with Philippine independence being granted in 1946.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picks on the foreign silver and such. Wish they had pawn shops like that around here. You'd be lucky to get junk silver at double spot and forget about any type of jewelry, outrageous.

Really? The pawnshop I go to has dimes, quarters, and halves (90% and 40%) at spot that is updated daily. I always figured it wasn't worth grabbing at spot, though. They only had one Ben and it wasn't in great shape (and the face was covered in wood glue?) so I passed. I picked out the one decent condition merc they had. Nothing else that old.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? The pawnshop I go to has dimes, quarters, and halves (90% and 40%) at spot that is updated daily. I always figured it wasn't worth grabbing at spot, though. They only had one Ben and it wasn't in great shape (and the face was covered in wood glue?) so I passed. I picked out the one decent condition merc they had. Nothing else that old.
Yup, really. There are a couple that don't even buy/deal with silver, imagine that. It's not worth buying at spot if your planning on selling it right away. I'm stacking silver for a rainy day, even if it takes years. I still believe that it will rise again. With silver hovering around $20 an ounce, now is the time to buy, imho.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, really. There are a couple that don't even buy/deal with silver, imagine that. It's not worth buying at spot if your planning on selling it right away. I'm stacking silver for a rainy day, even if it takes years. I still believe that it will rise again. With silver hovering around $20 an ounce, now is the time to buy, imho.

I agree that now is definitely the time to buy. Myself, I stopped buying silver, not because I think it's a bad investment, I just prefer to have my money freed up for other endeavors at the moment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread