Paying off my metal detector.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your results will increase the more time you can put into it to start as there is a learning curve. Overlap your sweeps is the best way to not miss any thing.

Remember it is a hobby and supposed to be fun. Don't worry about bringing home X amount of dollars everyday. One gold ring can more than pay for the Ace.

Good Luck,
Sandman

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just what the Sandman said,treasurefiend found a gold ring his first 2 weeks hunting with the 250

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
That could be a good case study but....the reason most people get into this hobby is for the enjoyment. The thrill of finding lost objects especially coins. It's a great hobby that takes you outdoors, let's you get some exercise and fresh air (depending where you live) and it keeps you out of trouble. ...well at least most of the time. Do the study..see how long it takes to pay for the detector but enjoy the ride.

My last three detectors cost $800.00, $700.00 and 500.00. Thats $2000.00. That's a cheap price to pay for all the fun I've had in the last 20 years. :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same thing you did when I first started out. I counted the coins but had loads of fun doing it. Took me just under 9 months..one of the only hobbies that could actually keep you in the black, unlike fishing..lol Never will I ever come outta that hole. As the ones before me stated, have fun and it will come.... :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are doing a case study, keep a journal. Yes. Write it all down. How much batteries cost, places, finds, times, weather, etc. I have found 4 rings and one bracelet since I drove up here (to WI) in May. Plus gobs of clad and some silver coins. Most with my 250. It's a good machine. You will do well. Keep us posted. TTC

OP
OP
dex378

dex378

Dec 1, 2007
Foxboro, Massachussetts
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I do plan on documenting everything , and yes this is going to be more for fun than recuperating the 200 bucks. Just thought it wuld be fun to go about starting out this way. Thanks guys, and stay posted.

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
I have a quick silver,so far I have found $250 worth of junk,Iwill be upgrading as soon as I "cach" in on some more junk I find!It will definatly pay for itself.The thing I seem to notice, is you must understand "your machine" you are using.If you have a high $$ machine and dont know anyuthing about it, your passing over good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread