What's new

PEARLS ANYONE???

ixKNIVESxi

Full Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2023
Messages
111
Reaction score
371
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hays Kansas
Detector(s) used
Harbor freight’s (cheap crap) AWESOME 60$ detector. ;)
is anyone else here just obsessed with pearls? i am.... I come across them frequently and its always a pleasant surprise.

the way light interacts with the nacre.

part of what i have amassed so far...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20251224_214604787~2.webp
    IMG_20251224_214604787~2.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20251224_214711588.webp
    IMG_20251224_214711588.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20251224_214704591.webp
    IMG_20251224_214704591.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20251224_214639441.webp
    IMG_20251224_214639441.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20251224_214629903.webp
    IMG_20251224_214629903.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20251224_214604787.webp
    IMG_20251224_214604787.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
Upvote 10
"Knives"....first of all...MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
You may or may not be aware of this, but for you and our other fellow treasure hunters, I'm posting this story that I remember from 20 years ago. I cut out the article from a newspaper when it was first discovered but I can't find it right now. But, there is a lesson to be learned here.
This is why we should never leave any stones un-turned & never take anything for granted, no matter what "the experts"might give as an opinion.
This item was thought to be "costume jewelry" at an antique store & was in a basket on the counter with other "junk". It was bought for $ 14.00 & is a rare pearl from a quahog. Until I first read the article, I never knew that Quahogs had pearls, & I dug many of them in my youth.
This is known as: " THE GOLASH PEARL "
So everyone should be aware of the existence of these pearls.
CHEERS!! J.T.G. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night !
LINK:
ps. I remember when it was first discovered, the newspaper article estimated that it was worth about $ 500,000, and that was 20 years ago.
 
Last edited:
IX glad you like them. Interesting posting for sure. Question ? How can you tell the Real pearls from the fake or look a likes ?
 
My misses has a necklace of Australian Black freshwater pearls. The irregular shape, not the usually seen round ones, is typical they say of them from here. They look lovely in the sunlight giving off almost peacock colours.
IMG_20251225_223329963~2.webp
 
To tell a real pearl from a fake, rub the pearl on your “real” teeth, a real pearl is going to have a gritty feeling on your tooth, while a fake will be a smooth feeling on the tooth.
 
My misses has a necklace of Australian Black freshwater pearls. The irregular shape, not the usually seen round ones, is typical they say of them from here. They look lovely in the sunlight giving off almost peacock colours.
View attachment 2238369
they call the oddly shaped ones "baroque"
 
To tell a real pearl from a fake, rub the pearl on your “real” teeth, a real pearl is going to have a gritty feeling on your tooth, while a fake will be a smooth feeling on the tooth.
you can also just rub them together
 
is anyone else here just obsessed with pearls? i am.... I come across them frequently and its always a pleasant surprise.

the way light interacts with the nacre.

part of what i have amassed so far...
Very Cool!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom