What's new

pecking stone or rock.

ncnurseryman

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2013
Messages
803
Reaction score
443
Golden Thread
0
Location
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today. Looks like a river cobble stone with one end chipped at. Could it be a pecking stone?
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20131222_144955.webp
    ForumRunner_20131222_144955.webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 645
  • ForumRunner_20131222_145023.webp
    ForumRunner_20131222_145023.webp
    60.8 KB · Views: 240
  • ForumRunner_20131222_145042.webp
    ForumRunner_20131222_145042.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 166
  • ForumRunner_20131222_145107.webp
    ForumRunner_20131222_145107.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0
Now after some research I'm thinking possible hammer stone. Thoughts?
 
Could be either one or the other. The pecking looks correct as I have some . Nice job!
 
If found on a site, I would say hammerstone. Not sure what people mean by "pecking stone" anyway, unless it's the same function being described. That looks like a small hammerstone.
 
Not sure if its a site yet. The field was just turned and its the first time it walked it. I did find what looks to be a chunk of material that was broken apart.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20131222_202628.webp
    ForumRunner_20131222_202628.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 183
If found on a site, I would say hammerstone. Not sure what people mean by "pecking stone" anyway, unless it's the same function being described. That looks like a small hammerstone.

I would say the name ( pecking stone ) is what we call the stones that peck hardstone pieces into shape. Is that what a hammerstone does or something else? HH...
 
Hammer stones were used to to make other stone tools like the points and blades.
 
Hammer stones were used to to make other stone tools like the points and blades.

That's what I thought, just was wonderin what Charl was meanin why they call them peckin stones..
 
Most pecking stone have a more of a smooth wear pattern to them, because they sat and hit the item with medium blows just to remove a small amount of rock powder at a time. That's where the word pecking comes in, they were not trying to break it just smash a small amount of rock to powder. A hammer stone was used with hard direct force to break off a large flake or removing flakes to make tools. Most hammer stone show heavy wear on the end like the one you found.JMO Great find:icon_thumleft:
 
That's what I thought, just was wonderin what Charl was meanin why they call them peckin stones..

i never heard of the term "pecking stone". I call such tools hammer stones. FWIW....
 
many uses for those

percussion flaking
making grooves when making axes or fish weights etc etc
that one most def got used
 
Pecking stones were used for the nitty gritty fine work, I thought.??
 
Looks definitely like a percussion flaking tool. JMO!
 
Pecking stones were used for the nitty gritty fine work, I thought.??

Sure, just not familiar with the term here in the Northeast. I'm sure Steve and old digger are spot on. Even if not on a site, or if that's unknown, little likelihood that's natural. After awhile, you can just tell when something's been battered through usage. Hammerstones come in all sizes, including large hafted grooved mauls, and smaller ones for whatever task at hand.
 
Kinda like the term manos and grinders, pecking and hammer stones. Depends on where you are from. Nice tool find.
 
Thanks for the feedback everyone. When I picked it up I thought it might be something, just wasn't sure but I couldn't put it down. I carried it in my hand the whole time feeling it as I walked.

Wait, that doesn't sound right. Ha. You know what I mean. I can't wait to go back. We had a gully washer of a rain today.
 
Def a hammerstone I have one identical great piece
 
Most pecking stone have a more of a smooth wear pattern to them, because they sat and hit the item with medium blows just to remove a small amount of rock powder at a time. That's where the word pecking comes in, they were not trying to break it just smash a small amount of rock to powder. A hammer stone was used with hard direct force to break off a large flake or removing flakes to make tools. Most hammer stone show heavy wear on the end like the one you found.JMO Great find:icon_thumleft:

Couldn't of answered any better than that rack nicely worded !!!
 
I have 1 pecking stone and its a quartzite type and all of my hammer stones are harder like flint or a solid quartz.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom