Pencil?

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Ace 250, XP deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this piece at a site dating back to late 1700’s. At first I thought it was a knife but it is too soft, maybe lead. Asking around I was told it could be a pencil. I can’t seem to find any info on that but it does write well on paper. Thanks in advance.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580988999.398910.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580989019.546531.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1580989033.114346.jpg

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find. Look up pencil history online. I saw pics similar to yours.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do we agree it is a pencil? Anyone have a different idea?

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sold on it being a pencil. Contrary to what many people believe, lead pencils never were made with lead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sold on it being a pencil. Contrary to what many people believe, lead pencils never were made with lead. But if you tell everyone here that it definitely is a pencil we have to agree with you.

not everyone lived close enough to a place to buy a pencil or couldn't afford extras like that. People almost always had some little bit of lead laying around, and in a pinch they used it. Yes pencils may not have been sold as made out of lead, but people def turned lead into pencils in my opinion. is this one a pencil? who knows but its a possibility.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not everyone lived close enough to a place to buy a pencil or couldn't afford extras like that. People almost always had some little bit of lead laying around, and in a pinch they used it. Yes pencils may not have been sold as made out of lead, but people def turned lead into pencils in my opinion. is this one a pencil? who knows but its a possibility.

Was this used as a pencil? Maybe. I don't think there's any way to determine that with any certainty. Is it a pencil? I say no.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this used as a pencil? Maybe. I don't think there's any way to determine that with any certainty. Is it a pencil? I say no.

bet my microscope could have given an educated guess if the op didn't write with it already.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bet my microscope could have given an educated guess if the op didn't write with it already.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Still, it's not an actual pencil. I believe that was the question being asked.

gallery-1471019254-the-oldest-known-pencil-in-the-world.jpg

The oldest known pencil in the world, from the early 17th century, on display at the Faber-Castell castle near Nuremberg, Germany.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still, it's not an actual pencil. I believe that was the question being asked.

View attachment 1798792

The oldest known pencil in the world, from the early 17th century, on display at the Faber-Castell castle near Nuremberg, Germany.

lol you failed to understand what I am saying... not saying pencils were commonly made of lead, not saying that really old ones were made out of lead. I only said people in a pinch were known to make one out of lead. Why you so hell bent on trying to prove to me something I know? I understand fully the history of graphite and it being mistaken for a lead alloy or something at first. I Fully understand that marketed pencils were not lead. I fully understand any pencil made from lead is a home job and a rare occurrence... relax

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol you failed to understand what I am saying... not saying pencils were commonly made of lead, not saying that really old ones were made out of lead. I only said people in a pinch were known to make one out of lead. Why you so hell bent on trying to prove to me something I know? I understand fully the history of graphite and it being mistaken for a lead alloy or something at first. I Fully understand that marketed pencils were not lead. I fully understand any pencil made from lead is a home job and a rare occurrence... relax

I'm not "hell bent" and I am "relax"ed. I completely understand what you're saying and have already said that someone may (or may not) have used this as a writing instrument. You seem to be missing MY point. The OP wanted to know if what they found was a pencil. It's not, IMO.

If the OP posted a piece of charcoal that someone may have drawn or written with, would that be a pencil?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks for the different opinions. I just though someone might have seen another use for an object this shape and made from such a soft metal. Agreed on no definite answer. thanks

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well thanks for the different opinions. I just though someone might have seen another use for an object this shape and made from such a soft metal. Agreed on no definite answer. thanks

I'm still cogitating its use. You're pretty sure it's lead, right? If it's a piece of graphite it might be an early pencil or at least specifically used as a pencil. May I ask what you wrote on with it? Was it a piece of paper or something else?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect plenty of graphite was used on ancient cave paintings. But why would this be shaped like a knife? Maybe it was a strong material that has degraded!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a look on white paper. Not sure of material, bendable non magnetic. The knife shape did puzzle me, thinking a writing tool might have a different shape. I actually sent office museums an email yesterday with pictures and have not heard back as of this time. This piece might be other than lead, the only reason I thought it was lead was how bendable it is. I would think if it was a piece of graphite it would leave some black on my hands. thanks

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1581021366.651943.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
edlynne

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually sent office museums an email yesterday with pictures and have not heard back as of this time. This piece might be other than lead, the only reason I thought it was lead was how bendable it is. I would think if it was a piece of graphite it would leave some black on my hands. thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the additional info.It probably is lead. I'll say that It sure does a fine job of filling in as a pencil.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions