Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have in my possession a rare, out-of-print book on Pennsylvania caves distributed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Internal Affairs, Topographic and Geologic Survey, dated 1932 .

It gives detailed descriptions of every known cave in all the Pennsylvania counties..........including short stories of known hideouts of Robber David Lewis, Simon Girty, and others. Too much info to print here but if anybody needs additional info, I'd be glad to share it with you...................Rich

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Rich...I am indeed interested, as I have done quite a bit of spelunking in Central Pa., mainly around the Lewistown and State College area (this was back in the 70's when I was "young"). Anyway, I would be interested in further info on what you have...pp

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
If there is anything of interest in the schuylkill county, berks county area as far as caves I would like to see some of that information, especially if there is any close to mahanoy city. Thanks for the info and Good Luck Hunting!!!

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wainzoid said:
I'd be interested on any info about 'Hipples Cave' in Bedford County. Thanx in advance...duane

Here ya go Duane.............

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 9,170
  • Page 4 & 5.jpg
    Page 4 & 5.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 8,010
  • Page 3.jpg
    Page 3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 7,903
  • Page 1 & 2.jpg
    Page 1 & 2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 8,193
OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
richg said:
If there is anything of interest in the schuylkill county, berks county area as far as caves I would like to see some of that information, especially if there is any close to mahanoy city. Thanks for the info and Good Luck Hunting!!!

Rich........there are no caves listed for Schuylkill County. There are 16 caves with 17 pages of info for Berks County.

1. Crystal Cave
2. Dietrich Cave
3. Dragon Cave
4. Dreibelbis Cave
5. Hobo Cave
6. Mohrsville Cave
7. Montello Cave
8. Noeker Cave
9. Onyx Cave
10. Pinnacle Caves
11. Schofer Cave
12. Sinking Spring Cave
13. South Temple Cave
14. Tuckerton Cave
15. West Reading Cave
16. Other Caves: Slate, Phillips, Merkle, Morgan, Conrad Weiser, Greshville

Entirely too much info to post here. If you know any particular cave you want info on in Berks County I can post that, but if you want all the 16 caves & 17 pages I will have to copy all the 17 pages and mail them to you. Let me know............Rich

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Potter Poker said:
Rich...I am indeed interested, as I have done quite a bit of spelunking in Central Pa., mainly around the Lewistown and State College area (this was back in the 70's when I was "young"). Anyway, I would be interested in further info on what you have...pp

PP.......I have 8 caves with 9 pages of info listed for Centre County........
1. Brukerhoff Cave
2. Penn's Cave
3. Madisonburg Cave
4. Rebersburg Cave
5. Rossman Cave
6. Stover Cave
7. Veiled Lady Cave
8. Woodward Cave

I have 9 caves with 9 pages of info listed for Mifflin County......
1. Aitkin County
2. Alexander Caverns
3. Allensville Cave
4. Johnson Caves
5. Milroy Cave
6. Naginey Cave
7. Reedsville Cave
8. Rupert Cave
9. Seawra cave

Its impossible to post 18 pages on here. If you want info on any particular cave, I will post that. If you want information on all 17 caves with 18 pages, I can make copies and mail them too you..........Rich

Jay-in-Pa

Jan 12, 2007
NE Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks Jeff for the link. I am looking for info on a cave only about a mile from me. The story my grandmother told me was back in the 20's the man who owned the property found a cave that was full of indian artifacts. She has seen some of the stuff but at the time it was pretty much worthless.

Jay

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Cave is Near me in Dauphin County.

it's Not real Deep though.
Maby 100 Feet & about 5 foot high at the entrance

Attachments

• z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 8,271
  • z1a.jpg
    z1a.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 7,960

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
Rich, I have read everything at the Centre County Historical Society on David Lewis the Robber. As soon as the ground thaws I will be up in the Bellefonte mountains, moving a rock pile that is indeed unnatural and there are no other rocks around it. Lewis stated from the jail (not the current spot of the Bellefonte jail) that he could see his treasure from there. It was a basement jail with no windows. From the doorway you can see the area of the mountain where this pile of rocks is located. His $20,000 in gold is worth over $312,000 now. He did bury his money in other areas too. And spent alot of times hiding out in caves. If you could give me info on the cave names and directions to their locations for the counties of Clearfield, Centre, and Clinton Counties in a private message, I'd appreciate that.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
1liquigirl said:
Rich, I have read everything at the Centre County Historical Society on David Lewis the Robber. As soon as the ground thaws I will be up in the Bellefonte mountains, moving a rock pile that is indeed unnatural and there are no other rocks around it. Lewis stated from the jail (not the current spot of the Bellefonte jail) that he could see his treasure from there. It was a basement jail with no windows. From the doorway you can see the area of the mountain where this pile of rocks is located. His $20,000 in gold is worth over $312,000 now. He did bury his money in other areas too. And spent alot of times hiding out in caves. If you could give me info on the cave names and directions to their locations for the counties of Clearfield, Centre, and Clinton Counties in a private message, I'd appreciate that.

If you need any help moving them rocks....let me know! Bellefonte is a great area to hunt, lots of history there.

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1liquigirl said:

You bet. I'll get that info to you ASAP. Just got off work from a long weekend so bear with me. I suspect others have looked for Lewis' treasure in Bellefonte, maybe you will be the lucky one. I'm about an hour and a half drive from Bellefonte, if you want a buddy, just yell...........Rich

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
Thanks guys if I need help I'll holler, to keep you occupied, here are a few pictures of the rock pile in question

Attachments

• Rock Pile.jpg
    Rock Pile.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7,242
  • Rock Pile 3.jpg
    Rock Pile 3.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 7,189
  • Rock Pile 2.jpg
    Rock Pile 2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 7,724
  • Rock Pile.jpg
    Rock Pile.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7,070
  • Rock Pile 2.jpg
    Rock Pile 2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 6,975
  • Rock Pile 3.jpg
    Rock Pile 3.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 7,060

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
At first I thought it may be a land marker and dismissed it. But wouldn't a land marker be like one rock piller or something? Our plan is to detect around it first then move the rocks to a clean spot we've already detected and then hit the paydirt. I can't wait to see what may be underneath!!!

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I'm wondering if maybe these rocks were stacked up at the time when he hid the cache.
Then over time they have fallen down into a pile. It sure would have been a good landmark for him to remember.
Good luck to you in searching for this.
Clayton

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
Liquigirl,

They may be a landmark, there may be a iron pin/pipe in there or a stone in that is vertical. If there are any large trees around with three cuts or blazes that may also indicate a land mark nearby. I was thinking that this may be a well that has been filled in. A good possibility. If so you may find square nails nearby from an old homestead. Some on at one time wanted to do something, build a stonewall, landmark, or fill a well. Good Luck.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I wouldn't think that it would be an old well. I think if it would have been a well, that was backfilled at one time, some settling would have occurred over time and there would be a slight depression rather than a mound. For a well, I also think there would have been some kind of homestead nearby, any evidence of that? Older homesteads were most often built in low areas near springs, streams, and rivers.
No doubt the hiding spot would have been marked in one way or another. I would be surprised if it would be done in an obvious or suspicious looking manner. I would think it would be something small that would probably go unnoticed. A huge stack of unnatural looking rocks would stick out like a sore thumb, especially to those who chased him.
Could the rocks have possibly been removed from the hole where the stash is buried? The treasure was covered by the remaining dirt and the rocks were thrown to the side. With that many rocks, it would have been a big hole. By the way, Pa mountain ground is more rocks than dirt. So I guess that would be possible, but I doubt the stash would be that large.
Are there any fields in the immediate area? Those rocks could have been picked by a farmer and then dumped there.
Regardless, it sound like a fun adventure. I would check that area out, and anything nearby that looks unnatural.
GOOD LUCK....duane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread