Pennsylvania Projectile Point Hoard - Need ID

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Needs some help determining the age, type and value of these points. Most are broken straight in half, and they're all from one county in Pennsylvania somewhere. I bought them on ebay a long time ago and paid $35 with a large glass rikers display case. The seller shipped the artifacts in the case so it was broken when it arrived. After complaining, I got a $10 refund, making it a $25 find. Those are archaeological site numbers on some of the points. The seller had two more large cases full, but I lost out on those, and he also said they were all from the same county. I have it written down somewhere but I dont remember where off the top of my head.

DSC04074.jpg DSC04076.jpg DSC04077.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANd they're all from York County, Pennsylvania, I guess. And like I said, those are archaeological site numbers on some of them. And this is an old collection I think. The case was pretty dusty and worn when I got it.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those arrowheads are cool! My parents live on the western edge of York County. There was a mill built @ 1749 near their house.

Locals say the Native American tribe near-by helped to build the dam and dig the race to supply water to the mill.

I know where the village was located. It's a farmed field on a small hill above a large creek. I can see why they picked that place - beautiful even today.

I never took the time to go search for any artifacts. I wish I would have searched it back when the farmers still plowed.

Everybody does "no till" now so the soil never gets turned.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like the typical York county archaic period points. Google archaic period for additional information. Most look like middle archaic 'bear island' stemmed points. i have found some myself, both in York County and also Lancaster County and in Maryland. Nice haul.

Upvote 0

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look to be bare island type im from ny thats what we call them . Anywhere from transitional to late archaic , nice find!

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would actually be interested to find out how points that have been curated (with the site #'s) made it onto the commercial scene? If I were you I wouldn't share this with anyone, I would contact (personally) the state historic preservation officer and return it. Why might you ask? That's pretty self evident, bad juju, and lost history.

I don't mess around with Native stuff anymore, I did when I was a kid but that was cause I was from a rural area and there wasn't anything else to do. I went to school for Archaeology, and the more I did that line of work I was disturbed. I've been to burial rock shelters that folks have dug up and human bones just left strewn on the surface, it's different when you find one in a field walking I know but you get the point. Two years ago, I returned all my points and artifacts (that I found as a kid) to a Lakota medicine man, who cleansed them and reburied them. He also cleansed me of this during a sweat, those spirits went out and were returned to the ancestors. I'm rambling and I might sound a bit crazy, to each their own. Love the white quartz ones though, we dug a lot of those in southwestern Virginia that were associated with a ritual site. This was on Fed land that was slated to become a Stryker brigade stomping ground.

Folks might chew me out on this, and that's fine. Just want you to know I'm not trying to say anything about you, obviously you care about Native artifacts and history otherwise you wouldn't be on Treasurenet. So I meant no offense to you, but this was directed at the seller.

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Being from the Keystone State they may have been early examples... :laughing7:

Sorry I don't know nutt'n bout NA artifacts.

Cool collection

Upvote 0

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Broken, they are not worth anything sadly. Some times museums have to clean out there back rooms so this is not uncommon to see artifacts that were once in a museum.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would actually be interested to find out how points that have been curated (with the site #'s) made it onto the commercial scene? If I were you I wouldn't share this with anyone, I would contact (personally) the state historic preservation officer and return it. Why might you ask? That's pretty self evident, bad juju, and lost history.

I don't mess around with Native stuff anymore, I did when I was a kid but that was cause I was from a rural area and there wasn't anything else to do. I went to school for Archaeology, and the more I did that line of work I was disturbed. I've been to burial rock shelters that folks have dug up and human bones just left strewn on the surface, it's different when you find one in a field walking I know but you get the point. Two years ago, I returned all my points and artifacts (that I found as a kid) to a Lakota medicine man, who cleansed them and reburied them. He also cleansed me of this during a sweat, those spirits went out and were returned to the ancestors. I'm rambling and I might sound a bit crazy, to each their own. Love the white quartz ones though, we dug a lot of those in southwestern Virginia that were associated with a ritual site. This was on Fed land that was slated to become a Stryker brigade stomping ground.

Folks might chew me out on this, and that's fine. Just want you to know I'm not trying to say anything about you, obviously you care about Native artifacts and history otherwise you wouldn't be on Treasurenet. So I meant no offense to you, but this was directed at the seller.

I know just how you feel. And since they were just an ebay find, they arent high on my list of keepers. I have 70 of them now, but Ive given a few away. And I have a bunch of other stuff that will be donated to our one of our local history museums one day, mostly stuff my grandparents or parents found a very long time ago before the antiquities laws came about in the late 1970s. My grandfather actually already has a bunch of his bottles he found in one of our musems, or at least did at one point. Fortunately, many of these points have their site numbers on them, so maybe their origin can be determined if the records could be found. Ive never been to Pennsylvania, though. And this was a long, long time ago, but I want to say the seller acquired them from a deceased friend or family member, when they were clearing out his estate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Broken, they are not worth anything sadly. Some times museums have to clean out there back rooms so this is not uncommon to see artifacts that were once in a museum.

You could be right. The seller I got these from had a lot more. The other two cases had more whole ones, so they went for more than I was willing to fork out at the time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually forgot to mention, but these points came in a big rikers display case, which was actually the main reason I bought them. I needed a larger case and since ebay is the only place I know to find rikers, I went there. Only on ebay, shipping often costs as much as the case, so I looked around to try to find a nice large case with some stuff already in it, thinking it would be better this way, since it would be just as expensive as buying a case brand new and shipping it here, and this way Id at least get some cool artifacts with the case. Unfortunately, the case arrived broken, but I was able to repair it well enough with a piece of plexy glass and glue, and is still holding up just fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread