What's new

Penny Hunter Question - Most Wheats In a Box???

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all of you penny hunters out there -- what was the most wheat pennies you found in a box and what is considered a dream box of pennies???

Thanks and HH!

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
Upvote 0
The few penny boxes I have tried didn't produce well. My best box had 8 wheaties. Most had 3-5. A few had none.

To get "dream box" status, I would think a box would have to have the standard 100 keepers.
 
The most Wheats I've gotten in a box is 15, twice. In one box the oldest being 1918, in the other, 1940. Still, can't say it was a dream box. Still waiting for that one that nets me at least 20 Wheats (with some pre-1940) and an Indian Head - now THAT would be a dream box!
 
i would say 100 or more is a dream box...my best box had like 20-25 wheats...keep it up and hh!
 
I'd say my best wheat quantity cent box got me 20-25 wheats.

However, I would rather take a box with wheats from the teens and 20's. I pulled a 1916-S yesterday.. the coin look like it was in F (fine) condition in the obverse but the "ONE" on the reverse was worn away. I filled the hole and finds like that are priceless to me. I'd rather find one like that to fill a hole in my album than getting 20 wheats from the 40-50's.
 
Twice during the past 5 years I've had a bag with more than 1,200 wheat cents. I even had bag that was missing only a 1931 for a date set. However, I think my all time dream bag was the one that had 37 Indian Head cents :o
 
My best box of pennies had 3 dimes :laughing7: and 38 wheat pennies one being what I think is a 1909s but very very worn... anyway, even if its not, I still got 38 wheats!

tried to get picture of the 1909s? and couldn't get one good enough.
 
We have searched about 50 boxes. Our best box was 47 wheats. I consider 20 a good box. 9 to 10 and average box. We live near the Canadian border and often get 50 to 60 Canadian cents and about one King George per box.

Gordon and Tanner
 

Attachments

  • wheat war 16.webp
    wheat war 16.webp
    62.3 KB · Views: 324
  • wheat war 16.webp
    wheat war 16.webp
    62.3 KB · Views: 281
I usually average about 10-12 wheats per box. The best box I did had about 25-30 wheats. I knew it was going to be a good box because there were two wheats on the end. I would consider a dream box to be atleast 75 wheats.
HH
 
Best box 50+wheats.Best box for 2011 (37) wheats,avg 15-25 per box down from last year also found 2 1909 S & 1931 S wheat cents and some IH cents oldest 1879.Copper is about the same.
 
Great feedback so far -- thanks to everyone who has responded! :thumbsup: Hopefully we can get more penny hunters to come out of the woodwork and update us on their finds! My average box is about 10-13 wheats with most being in the late 30's through late 50's with a few teens mixed in (no 1920's yet); my best box had 19 wheats. I picked up some bank rolls a few weeks ago and one of them had 16 wheats in it!!! :icon_thumright:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
$ilver$urfer said:
Great feedback so far -- thanks to everyone who has responded! :thumbsup: Hopefully we can get more penny hunters to come out of the woodwork and update us on their finds! My average box is about 10-13 wheats with most being in the late 30's through late 50's with a few teens mixed in (no 1920's yet); my best box had 19 wheats. I picked up some bank rolls a few weeks ago and one of them had 16 wheats in it!!! :icon_thumright:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Pennies are cheap and easy to get. However, I hate to dump them back >:( They generally produce good results too. There are also a lot of pre-82 coppers in circulation if your into saving them as well
 
Ugh, yeah, dumping cents is complete pain. But like its been said - they're so cheap that you get a lot of bang for your buck. I love grabbing a box and opening it later while I'm watching some TV or something in the background.

The one Indian Head I found was thrill - but I get a kick out of anything that doesn't look like a Memorial or a zincoln - even Canadian cents can be neat finds, especially older King George ones. I had one box with 21 Canadian cents and 2 Austrian cents - I have feeling the box came from up north somewhere, since I usually average 4-5 Canadians.
 
I had a box about two years ago that had around 440 wheats which was my best box. I've had a few over 100 but the average seems to be around 8-10. A few years ago I was averaging one every 3 rolls but the average has gone down since.
 
DrDetector said:
I had a box about two years ago that had around 440 wheats which was my best box. I've had a few over 100 but the average seems to be around 8-10. A few years ago I was averaging one every 3 rolls but the average has gone down since.
They're getting picked out of circulation, get em' while you can!
 
Most of my boxes have around 30 to 40 in them best was just over fifty but my boxes have alot of 1911 to 1930 have a great bank in a area where there is alot of older people and a teller who saves rolls for me each week. happy hunting Ron
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom