What's new

Pepper spray

Right on PWP, no leak container is the only way to go.

Looks like 15% or less should stop bad things.

Has anyone tried this?

Grey
 
I think what you need to mix is "strong ammonia". You have to get that at the drug store. It is used for bleaching hair and that is what you smell when someone is getting a perm. Household ammonia is a diluted cleaner and will irritate the hands and the use of a protective glove is advised. Strong ammonia is almost 100% pure ammonia and is very caustic. I would think it would only take a few drops in a pint of water to do the trick. I am no chemist and do not recommend using it in this manner and this is just for information purposes. CYA! Monty
 
Am I the only one that see's humor in a bear problem around Chicago.
 
I carry a Ruger Vaquero 45 Long Colt. It's a slow bullet, and single action, but I'm older now and like to think about my shots. 9mm is too fast and punches right through. You can be shot in the leg and die from hydrostatic shock from a .45. Well not you, but the bear. I carry a good pair of tennis shoes and a camera too, because if a bear or mountain lion got me up here and I got a picture, it might be a banner post. I went armed for 25 years and stirred things up from time to time but I generally don't go out heeled anymore.
 
Pepper spray failed the human test a long time ago. In Arkansas I used a 22 semi auto.

The Treasure Coast ??? Now there is a real problem. How to avoid the sharks when hunting in the water ?

Any suggestions ?

itmaiden
 
itmaiden said:
Pepper spray failed the human test a long time ago. In Arkansas I used a 22 semi auto.

The Treasure Coast ??? Now there is a real problem. How to avoid the sharks when hunting in the water ?

Any suggestions ?

itmaiden
stay out of the water.
 
I do my diggin with a large military knife. Have been in 15 different states and many cities, never had problems from locals or police.
 
longsocks (socks) said:
Does anyone carry pepper spray, when out detecting or am I the only one??.
Why carry pepper spray? Does it really tast that good on bear meat? Are you really that afraid of your hunting partner taking your finds?
 
Boy did your post get twisted around. I am in the very heart of bear and mountain lion country, and I've had no problems and don't carry any protection against them. You can carry a gun if you want to, just don't shoot yourself. I like all the wannabe gunfighter posts on here too. I'm of the mind that it's better to be a has been than a wannabe. I wasn't that good at putting 6 bullets in the same hole. But I was told that I was the very best at firing from the hip, and I had some range scores to prove it. I saw 4 or 5 9mm rounds punch right through an old boy and not stop him, but we popped him with a .357 and dropped him. In my younger days I would have no reservations about opening up on something, but now I would rather not kill, if there was another alternative. I don't think you have much to worry about out in the woods if you pay attention.
 
RGINN said:
Boy did your post get twisted around. I am in the very heart of bear and mountain lion country, and I've had no problems and don't carry any protection against them. You can carry a gun if you want to, just don't shoot yourself. I like all the wannabe gunfighter posts on here too. I'm of the mind that it's better to be a has been than a wannabe. I wasn't that good at putting 6 bullets in the same hole. But I was told that I was the very best at firing from the hip, and I had some range scores to prove it. I saw 4 or 5 9mm rounds punch right through an old boy and not stop him, but we popped him with a .357 and dropped him. In my younger days I would have no reservations about opening up on something, but now I would rather not kill, if there was another alternative. I don't think you have much to worry about out in the woods if you pay attention.
I was making a point about how worthless pepper spray is in a bear attack. I don't carry a gun with me. I treat bears and cougars like I treat rattlers. I keep my distance when ever possible. I have seen all three type of animals in the wild and luckily never had any problems with either. Ofcourse I'm referring to blackbear not grizzly.
 
If you are in bear country do whatever is comfortable for you. Those of us who detect in the city are more apt to be attacked by human predators so that's a different scenario. I don't think anyone wants to kill another person or an animal if it can be avoided. Most of the things about firearms posted here should be taken as a last resort, matter of life or death threat. I don't believe anyone on Tnet goes out looking for trouble. I have a lot of faith in my fellow detectorists. Monty
 
I bring my watch Yorkie. Evil dog he is. Nobody messes with him. Here he is........
 

Attachments

  • yorkie.webp
    yorkie.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 391
steve from ohio said:
I bring my watch Yorkie. Evil dog he is. Nobody messes with him. Here he is........


Awesome Yorkie man...Cute as can be! What's his name? :dontknow:
 
MetalheadFlorida said:
steve from ohio said:
I bring my watch Yorkie. Evil dog he is. Nobody messes with him. Here he is........


Awesome Yorkie man...Cute as can be! What's his name? :dontknow:
His name is "EVIL"

And he lives up to the name. Dog knows he is cute and uses it to attract women. I can't take him anywhere without tons of women asking to hold him.

He loves it.

So do I.
 
The old cute yorkie trick.....Yep, works every time! Evil is a good name for him.....Does he jump over cars too? :icon_jokercolor: He is a cute one!
 
Ankh said:
Sprays are nice if your up wind (could end up spraying yourself if not).Lesche tool is handy. Out in the woods (known bear area) i carry one of my two girls (one pictured)

Now that's what I call a problem solver! Works everytime! Even better than the cute yorkie trick! I wouldn't mess with ya! ;D
 
"Stay out of the water".
Glock is the only gun I know of that can shoot under water.
Special care must be done though.

The assault weapon may work just fine, never tried it and ammo costs a bunch. Also you look kinda suspicious in town.
Might draw the wrong kind of attention from both sides of the law.

.45 Colt and .45 ACP have long been proven stoppers for humans. 9mm has not.
As Monty said, I don't want to kill things unless I want to eat them.
Some cranked up junkie meat does not sound healthy.

I like the solid stream spray idea with ammonia. And yes I can hip shoot very well, thank you.
Probably will not stop a mother bear in the woods, but in the city should work nicely without permanent damage.
40 years of deer and elk hunting I have not seen a bear close in Oregon, just sign.
Have seen a Mt. lion that ran away like I did. LOL

Was hoping for first hand account of ammonia or pepper/bear spray on humans.
No one seems to have done this. I will still carry it for dogs of all sorts.

Grey
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom