Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone

Will be coming back to the US for a bit this summer while out of school from the UK. I was hoping to get a lot of metal detecting in and will be asking permissions for the first time. In the UK where I am at its not to hard to ask the farmers because if you do find anything of significance the crown will claim it and give you a check that is split with the farmer so its more enticing for them to say yes because if something is found on their land they get money. But I know thats a lot different when I get home and Im hoping to ask farmers as well as asking people if I can hunt there yards for treasure :laughing7: so I am wondering how do I go about getting yes's from folks . I suppose I could offer them some of my finds if anything is good but I would rather not as I am doing all the work and it seems like theres no point splitting a silver franklin or something. Just curious what all you experienced hunters do to ask for permissions back in the states since all my detecting career has been in the UK so far. Thanks for any info!

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the place is not a well maintained place I will ask for permission but I do not say I am looking for valuable coins or jewelry I just say looking for relics, old tools, toys etc. best if you can catch the owner out and about his property. I explain that I will leave their property neat and will haul out trash that I may dig up. Do not show up holding the detector of any digging tools. Look clean and be charming.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always ask in person (never over the phone, email, text, etc)
If you have a common friend/relative/interest with the homeowner the success rate seem to be higher. Easier to establish a level of trust on their part.
Never mention digging or splitting finds, stuff like that.
I always have much better luck asking the husband versus asking the wife. Not to be sexist or anything, but all of the lame excuses and negative responses that I have received have been from the wife. The men have all been "go for it and have fun..".

If I'm being watched, I usually go for clad and maybe some pull tabs to let them know that Ric Savaged lied to them and not all yards are full of valuable treasure.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I constructed a resume stating my intention, how long I have been doing this, what I am looking to gain, I also added a footnote stating that all precious metals will be turned over to the land owner. Just a suggestion. .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread