Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone :hello:

I've been hunting my neighbours yard, front and back for about two weeks now with some very interesting finds. So far I've found a silver 1907 quarter, a 1940 English Large Cent, 6 pennies dated 1940 & earlier, also a replica British Mercenary Hessian Soldier Button. The fourth picture is the yard I've been hunting for 2 weeks. The last three photo's are of the yard I hunted today where I got scolded!

Yesterday afternoon while I was detecting, my other neighbour two doors over walked over and asked me "what was I looking for in the ground"? I told her, "I was looking for coins, jewelery or anything interesting". She said, "that if I wanted to I could hunt her front yard for coins too"? I thanked her very much and told her that I'd show her anything interesting that I might find. She then jokingly said, "that we could split any coin finds 50/50"! :laughing7:

So this afternoon I headed over to her yard and hunted for about 1.5 hours. I probably dug 20+ holes! Not a whole lot to show for my time except for a lot of trash, which I didn't photograph. I did find a 1938 penny and a 1950 Wheat. I included the 1907 silver quarter I found in the other neighbours yard, since I didn't post it earlier.

I was just about done her yard when she pulls up in her car. She gets out, comes over to me, looks at her lawn and says . . . "I don't think I want you to do this anymore"! I could tell that she was pretty upset about some of the dirt on her grass. I told her that, "I'll be raking the grass after I'm done and that the rain overnight tonight will wash away the dirt, by tomorrow it'll be hard to tell that I was ever here". She just looked at me and said, "don't bother" and walked away.

Has this ever happened to any of you? I think I do a pretty good job of "cleaning up after myself" when I'm detecting! :-\ I even make the effort to put down a drop-cloth when I dig soil out of a hole! This hunting experience left me feeling confused and somewhat angry! >:(

Thanks for letting me rant and happy hunting to everyone!

Dave

Attachments

• May_15_2011 005-crop.jpg
    May_15_2011 005-crop.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,955
  • May_15_2011 007-crop.jpg
    May_15_2011 007-crop.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,956
  • May_15_2011 010.jpg
    May_15_2011 010.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,955
  • May_15_2011 001.jpg
    May_15_2011 001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,966
  • May_15_2011 004.jpg
    May_15_2011 004.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,961
  • May_15_2011 002.jpg
    May_15_2011 002.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,952
  • May_15_2011 003.jpg
    May_15_2011 003.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,968
Upvote 0

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
People are funny. With some you'll never have a problem, but some seem to enjoy causing misery to others. I have had landowners allow me to detect that I honestly don't think would have minded me digging their yard up with a backhoe. I've had them bring me drinks, snacks and sandwiches. I've had others run me off, threaten me, cuss me, etc. off city easements and neighboring properties that didn't even belong to them. If you do this long enough, you'll run the whole gamut and see a bit of everything.

What I do when detecting a yard with a "questionable" landowner is this: on the first trip, I ONLY dig the really good signals with a little depth - the ones I expect to be silver. There is no doubt I will pass up some good targets doing this, but if my time there is going to be limited as I suspect it may be, I don't want to waste it digging memorials, clad, and trash. I'll "cherry-pick" the heck out of it on that first trip. If everything goes well and I get permission for a return visit, then I won't be as selective.

Right on!!! This is what I do also. I have run into everything that has been mentioned on this post and have come to this conclusion, as far as yards r concerned. Sidewalk edge hunt, I confront or wait for the police to arrive! Like the idea of hard hat and vest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions