Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Each state forest has a different superintendent in charge of issuing permits. It seems like a little red tape is involved. No one seems to know what you are talking about when you try to get them. I finally got in touch with one of them who told me I could get a permit, and now I cannot get in touch with him.

nkoconnell

Greenie
Mar 5, 2010
Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks. I live in Little Egg Harbor, and am interested in Bass River in particular. Not in the park itself, but at Bodine Field, etc. I know that the Bass River has swallowed at least two pairs of my Wayfarers while canoeing!

IntoTheFire

May 3, 2010
New Jersey (South)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 / Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
nkoconnell said:
Thanks. I live in Little Egg Harbor, and am interested in Bass River in particular. Not in the park itself, but at Bodine Field, etc. I know that the Bass River has swallowed at least two pairs of my Wayfarers while canoeing!

Good luck...I just got me permit for Bass River and was told that the ONLY area open to metal detecting was the beach area. Of course there are also rules as to what time of the year, what day, time, etc... But it is good for the entire year.....

Working on a permit for Parvin State park next...

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
IntoTheFire said:
nkoconnell said:

Good luck...I just got me permit for Bass River and was told that the ONLY area open to metal detecting was the beach area. Of course there are also rules as to what time of the year, what day, time, etc... But it is good for the entire year.....

Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, only the NJ state forests specifically prohibit detecting. I am not sure if Parvin is off limits.

IntoTheFire

May 3, 2010
New Jersey (South)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 / Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Neil in West Jersey said:
IntoTheFire said:
nkoconnell said:

Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, only the NJ state forests specifically prohibit detecting. I am not sure if Parvin is off limits.

I received my permit for Parvin State Park today. I was NOT charged any fees for the permit.

Here are the basic rules:

The permit is good from May 29th thru September 6th, between the hours of 8:00 am - 10:00 am and 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm daily.

It is restricted to the Lake & Beach areas only.

Items of value found must be returned to the area office in compliance with State Park Service Policy 2.09 Lost and Found Articles.

Antiquities or historically related articles found shall remain property of the State Park Service and shall not be disturbed or shall be returned to the area Superintendent.

The permit MUST be in your possession while engaging in metal detecting at the area.

The permit CAN NOT be assigned, in whole or in part, to any other person.

The rest of the rules are the basics, all trash found must be removed, leave it like you found it, etc.

Hope this helps.

HH

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
What a crock of s**t.
Seems like Union County parks changed thier website, I remember 2 years ago there was no mention of metal detectors anywhere on thier site.
Now;
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Noise:
NO AMPLIFICATION, INCLUDING BANDS, LOUD RECORDED MUSIC, OR DISC JOCKEYS.
WE DO NOT OFFER ANY TYPE OF ELECTRICAL OUTLETS OR ANY TYPE OF POWER SOURCE.

Defacing County Property:
NO STAKES, POLES OR OTHER TYPE OF HOLES CAN BE PUT INTO THE GROUND. THIS INCLUDES TENTS OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF SHELTER IN CASE OF INCLEMENT WEATHER.

Metal Detectors ARE NOT ALLOWED BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL DIG HOLES, CREATING A LIABILITY HAZARD.
http://www.unioncountynj.org/parks/picnic.html

-Ok, so now I'm REALLY trying to stay positive but my GOD, where can we go anymore? I guess the beach is it.

jemakat

Greenie
Jul 6, 2010
Western Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Same issue with Essex County Parks:

Neither the use of metal detectors nor digging are mentioned as a prohibited activities on the Rule and Regulations listed on the Essex County Parks website. Just to check though I called their permits office and was told you could not break the ground. I then followed up with a letter to the Essex County Parks Director requesting permission to use metal detectors. I included in my letter the rules for NJ State Parks and Burlington County Parks both of which permit the use of metal detectors.

I actually received a response and was told that while the use of metal detectors is not prohibited per se, there is a park ordinance that prohibits digging. I was also informed that because of the historic nature of the parks there is no way to get a permit to dig and there are no plans to change the rules.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am less than a mile from Parvin, and I can tell you it can get busy. It shouldn't take you long to cover the beach area since it's not huge. You may also wanna swing your detector in the swimming area at Malaga Lake, on holidays alot of the people that don't head for the jersey shore will just go there and BBQ and swim. Let me know how it pans out for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread