Persistence pays off!!

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forewarning...might be lengthy. So if you don’t care to read, feel free to skip to the pics :thumbsup:
Yesterday turned out to be a bit of a bum and downer. There’s a property we’ve been looking at since before we started metal detecting, back when we were trying to magnet fish. General Bee had troops set up on his property during a CW battle. Finally found who the owner was. Found a number but it was no good. We called our hunt short yesterday bc hubby was bummed not finding anything. It was a beautiful day so he decided to ride the motorcycle on a loop we make. I wanted to take mine out, but laundry and work was hollering my name. On the way home, I found the man’s address. He lives on the loop we make on the bikes. So as a shot in the wind, hubby road to his house and asked permission. Unfortunate, the man said no. He let some college kids from Illinois go a few years back and said they found tons of stuff. But at some point in the middle of the night, they dug and never came back. The next morning, the property owner found a hole big enough to fit a car in. He’s never let anyone hunt since.

So back to the drawing board. Next property over. A bigger one. I texted my husband’s aunt, who has property after this next one, to ask if she knew him and if she thought he’d mind. After several minutes, she replied saying he said it would be no problem!

This morning, off to the cow pasture we went! Walked a total of 6.4 miles in just over 7 hours with pretty much nothing.
BA24E371-0B45-401C-BD25-A92A781F72B3.jpeg
Hauled this like 10 pound ax head for about 3 of those miles. Started heading back for the truck, dead tired, bummed, and learned clay sucks to dig in. Then....Ding ding! Score! We found the spot!!! And only about 300 yard from where we parked!!
F482302F-1D30-4AFB-9F9C-45D4B776B8DB.jpeg 1EC219BA-CC7E-4C32-BA86-C829FFB2F622.jpeg
Pulled this beauty out! My first Barber! Ding ding some more! Omg we didn’t want to leave!
A380594A-094E-4731-89F5-05F112C45EE6.jpeg 9BCABEF9-1933-484B-BC4D-7785AC162216.jpeg 3B0F385F-61FF-4B4E-A131-67EA8A6BD1CB.jpeg 7FC079C8-400D-45DE-AA0F-310CEA694491.jpeg 398F37B4-6CF4-4C8E-A9F7-D2B6F5CECA9B.jpeg E6C480F9-D09A-4759-81CB-E551F73582A9.jpeg
After 13 bullets, we HAD to make ourselves stop! Mosquitos were getting me, and we had to get kids and get home. But oohmahgerr what a day! Best day yet! Also, no sure what that last bullet is??

Moral of this story....be persistent. Don’t give up. And you if you have to spend all day and walk 6 miles, do it. It eventually pays off! Next weekend, we know where to start! :headbang:
7684881B-6685-4656-A971-133EF9AFA28B.png

Upvote 33

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good job on not giving up. Killer barber dime too! Sounds like there may be more to come from that site. Congrats

Zep11in

Feb 22, 2019
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, Whites MX5, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds...big congrats!

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a great hunt, congrats on your first Barber! I was sure excited when I found mine, BTW, I`ll trade you my 10 degrees and snow for a few of them mosquitos!:laughing7:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strong effort- Congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a great hunt, congrats on your first Barber! I was sure excited when I found mine, BTW, I`ll trade you my 10 degrees and snow for a few of them mosquitos!:laughing7:

Thanks! HAHAHAHA! Hey I'll take it! Mosquitos should NOT be out in February! But, that's Louisiana for ya lol

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Funny how it works sometimes. Something inside told you to try that area as you walked back. I try not to fight these little burst of intuition but listen to them as they whisper to you...

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ups and downs of metal detecting!!!! Great Barber dime though congrats it took me a long time to find one of those when I did it was a day maker. Those are still day makers for me!!!

OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Funny how it works sometimes. Something inside told you to try that area as you walked back. I try not to fight these little burst of intuition but listen to them as they whisper to you...

Right?! Something inside me said to hunt that spot first lol Hubby wanted to hunt a spot where some cavalry units were set up. Men should listen to a woman's intuition :laughing7:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Now we're metal detecting. Great job.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now we're metal detecting. Great job.:icon_thumright:

I'm hoping the land owner lets us go back. He told my husband he's never let anyone hunt it before and may consider letting us go one more time. I'm pretty sure the ONLY reason he let us in the first place is b/c of who my husband's aunt is. She's a big wheel around here. Pretty much if she asks for something, you don't say no. And I didn't even ask for her to ask for me. All I asked for was contact information lol We've offered to let him take a bullet, bring him a case a beer or anything he'd want to show our appreciation. Even if he doesn't specifically request anything, I think we will at least bring him a gift card to one of the restaurants here. And now I'm in more debt to hubby's aunt lol I've been grocery shopping in the rain for her, we've herded goats a few times, cleaned her cat house with 30 cats when she had knee surgery...whatever is asked...drop everything and do it lol

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! All that hiking just to find the honey hole so close to where you began. I think we folks in the snow zone take for granted that you all have mosquitoes all 365 days of the year down there.

OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! All that hiking just to find the honey hole so close to where you began. I think we folks in the snow zone take for granted that you all have mosquitoes all 365 days of the year down there.

I'll gladly dig in the cold! Come March/April, we'll have to call it quits or at least stay out of the woods. Mosquitos will carry you away and the snakes will be out. Not messing with the timber rattlers or copperheads up here lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, thank you for sharing!:icon_thumleft:

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
It seems that everyday someone is saying what they found on the way back to the car! Way to keep at it, and nice finds!

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol will we ever learn? Hiking for miles and it seems the best stuff is usually just a few feet from the car!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread