What's new

PESTLE!!!!

fishstick

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2012
Messages
3,341
Reaction score
12,238
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I braved the rain tuesday and in between showers I went back to the field that the gorget came out of. It's a 70+ acre field and has pieces scattered everywhere in it. It used to have a small community on it where the quarry workers lived. This is only the second stone piece that I've found there but it's a BEAUT!! I wont say what my wife thgt it looked like. LOL.. It's unusual that a bell would have a ridge, most would be flat where the ridge is. There's NO question that this is a pestle,lol.sorry had to put that in. The key was a nice surprise also. THANX FOR LOOKIN... HH
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0515.webp
    IMG_0515.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0516.webp
    IMG_0516.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0517.webp
    IMG_0517.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0518.webp
    IMG_0518.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0519.webp
    IMG_0519.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 0
That's awesome. Is there a pit in the bottom?
 
With the dimple on top, and the ridge, maybe it was meant to resemble exactly what your wife thought. I know it would not be the first such pestle. It's a super find by any standard, that would keep me wired for a good week at least.

Just looked at your last pic again. I think that's a phallic pestle!
 
Great find.. it's crazy how it always seems to happen that a subject comes up on here...then " bam" somebody finds a great example. I bet the man of the house loved to come home to see his old lady hard at work making dinner.
 
Great find.. it's crazy how it always seems to happen that a subject comes up on here...then " bam" somebody finds a great example. I bet the man of the house loved to come home to see his old lady hard at work making dinner.

i was thinking the same thing about the subject comes up, and here ya go, let's top it off!
 
With the dimple on top, and the ridge, maybe it was meant to resemble exactly what your wife thought. I know it would not be the first such pestle. It's a super find by any standard, that would keep me wired for a good week at least.

Just looked at your last pic again. I think that's a phallic pestle!

LMAO!! Def wired.. What is a phallic pestle? THANX.. HH
 
It looks like a ***** effigy or ?? to me, great find, keep checking that field and keep posting.
Thanks for sharing...
 
It looks like a ***** effigy or ?? to me, great find, keep checking that field and keep posting.
Thanks for sharing...
Really? p e n i s is censored? C'mon man!!
 
LMAO!! Def wired.. What is a phallic pestle? THANX.. HH

Here ya go...


https://www.google.com/search?q=pha...w&biw=1024&bih=644&sei=NIwuUdGyKaStygGWuoDwAw

Good one:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3578488

They exist! I honestly think yours may just be somewhat less realistic then the examples here. But your out in bell pestle country, so maybe someone from that region can say if they are even known from the Midwest.

OK, looks like they do exist in the Midwest. In fact, in 2 of the photos you can see a slight ridge!

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/14458106_finely-polished-5-18-phallic-hardstone-pestle-wit
 
Last edited:
I braved the rain tuesday and in between showers I went back to the field that the gorget came out of. It's a 70+ acre field and has pieces scattered everywhere in it. It used to have a small community on it where the quarry workers lived. This is only the second stone piece that I've found there but it's a BEAUT!! I wont say what my wife thgt it looked like. LOL.. It's unusual that a bell would have a ridge, most would be flat where the ridge is. There's NO question that this is a pestle,lol.sorry had to put that in. The key was a nice surprise also. THANX FOR LOOKIN... HH

That, my friend is a great find!! One of the best I've seen in a while. Not only a great pestle, but a phallic effigy to top it off. It was probably used as a ceremonial piece only.
 
I have to ask when you found it was it sticking up? That would of been a good instu if it was.
 
I have to ask when you found it was it sticking up? That would of been a good instu if it was.

Lol! I always stick my finds in my pocket with little studying them in the field. Had I found it, it wouldn't have been a rabbit in my pocket.
 
I have to ask when you found it was it sticking up? That would of been a good instu if it was.

Hey there ROCK. It was layin rite on top. It wood have made a great INSTU pic but with the rain and only havin my phone for a camera thgt I better pass. There's NOTHING like seein a piece for the FIRST time come out of the ground!! THANX.. HH
 
Hey there ROCK. It was layin rite on top. It wood have made a great INSTU pic but with the rain and only havin my phone for a camera thgt I better pass. There's NOTHING like seein a piece for the FIRST time come out of the ground!! THANX.. HH


Nice pestle!!.......I agree with you about seeing a artifact for the first time especially when you have hunted a place year in year out. I love the ones with a million foot prints all around them!!.......................GTP
 
very nice phallic formed pestle buddy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom