What's new

Why do people collect stamps?

I have an entire collection, passed down from my grandfather. It has been
sitting in a box for decades now, as nobody in my family knows diddly about
stamps.

If I were to post some pics of what he had, could anyone help me to discern
an approx. (aka: realistic) value? I do know he specialized in the Vatican issued
stamps.
 
Don, respect. I know of a postal stamp that was engraved to honor the longest serving postal delivery worker ? in a very rural and mountainous area. He snowshoe’d over high mountain passes and never defaulted on his contract over his incredible career. The stamp was shelved supposedly to be issued later. The man died and it has never been issued. I’d like to know what we have to do to get it issued. The story is incredible if you know the terrain. I believe he worked unil his late 80’s or early 90’s delivering mail with the assistance of his daughter. Charlie Snap was his name. I’d be interested in buying the stamp just because we stopped many times crossing the summit to say hello to him when I was young,

You know politicians make monuments to themselves in a self entitled acts of self pomposity. Yet its sad that there is no such recognition for the dedication of a quiet achiever doing his duty, with dignity and dedication. That is what made America great.

It is of these stories we should hear of that are truly inspirational. More of these unsung heros lives are needed to be told again to the younger generation as reminder what dedication really looks like.

Crow
I read the reply here about Charlie Snapp and was intrigue so I did a search and found this story from 1996, an incredible man for sure!!

 
Dizzy,
I can help you a little with your Vatican City stamps.
The earliest ones were printed in 1929 and looked like these:
1776108161762.webp
1776108384195.webp

Don in SoCal
 
I always Thought of Stamps as Art.
I Collected into my 20's When I Gave them to my Nephew
 
Last edited:
Dizzy,
I can help you a little with your Vatican City stamps.
The earliest ones were printed in 1929 and looked like these:

Don in SoCal


Much appreciated Don. I'll dig that box out tomorrow and see what all I've got.
 
My dad was a stamp collector. After he died my Mom had them. When she died I ended up with his collecton that he started as a Boy Scout in the 1920's of 1930's. I didn't collect them but I did gather some during the 28 years I worked for the U.S. Postal Service. Don't know what I am going to do with them.
 
Dizzy,
I can help you a little with your Vatican City stamps.
The earliest ones were printed in 1929 and looked like these:
View attachment 2250642View attachment 2250643
Don in SoCal
Some great stuff as always.


1: The 500L Dome of St. Peter's stamp was issued by the Vatican in 1958 to commemorate the completion of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, and it features a photograph of the dome, which was designed by Michelangelo and completed in 1590. The dome is a symbol of the Catholic Church and is one of the most iconic architectural structures in the world. This stamp is considered a must-have for stamp collectors and those interested in Vatican City history. It has been issued with a face value of 500 Lire and is considered to be a valuable stamp due to its historical significance and age. below.


Screenshot 2026-04-14 100242.webp


2: 10c Papal Coat of Arms (1931 "Segnatasse" Overprint): A postage due stamp overprint where only about 10 examples are believed to exist.The second stamp in our list, and the 2nd most valuable Vatican stamp is 10c Papal Coat of Arms, with design originally from 1929, and overprinted in 1931 with “SEGNATASSE” (postage due). It was actually the trial, and most of these were destroyed and it’s believed that only 10 of them exists today. So, pretty rare stamp, and a nice value too.

Screenshot 2026-04-14 100000.webp



3: 2023 World Youth Day Stamp (Withdrawn): Pope Francis appearing on the Henry the Navigator monument was withdrawn shortly after release due to controversy. Examples in circulation are trading for over £1,000, making it a modern rarity.

Screenshot 2026-04-14 095305.webp



4: The most highly sought-after and valuable Vatican City stamp is generally considered to be the 1.30 Lire on 1.25 Lire "Effigy of Pope Pius XI" overprint from 1934. This stamp is rare because it was part of a trial overprint intended to change the value from 1.25 L to 1.30 L. By mistake, a single sheet of these stamps was sent to the post office and used, making them exceptionally scarce and valuable, with individual examples selling for tens of thousands of dollars.
The most valuable Vatican stamp is Effigy of Pope Pius XI - 1934 Overprint. Again, the stamp dates back to 1929, and in 1934 there was a trial overprint, changing the value from 1.25 ₤ to 1.30 ₤. Only one sheet had been sent to the post office by mistake with half of the stamps used. Therefore, this is also one very rare and also expensive stamp below.

Screenshot 2026-04-14 095646.webp


5: 1957 Capranica 35L (Imperf Varieties): Rare varieties from the 1950s with missing perforations or colors.

Screenshot 2026-04-14 101041.webp



6: 1934 Provisional Surcharges (Scott 35-40): The complete set of six surcharged stamps is highly desirable, with Scott catalog values reaching over $1,500 (hinged). The 1934 Vatican City Provisional Surcharges (Scott #35-40) are a rare and highly collectible set of six stamps featuring Pope Pius XI. Surcharged by the Tipografia Poliglotta Vaticana due to postal rate changes, these stamps often appear with forged overprints, making expert certification essential. The set is valued for its scarcity below.

Screenshot 2026-04-14 101437.webp


For early issues (1929–1936), it is often advised to seek expertization, as forgeries exist.


Crow
 
My dad was a stamp collector. After he died my Mom had them. When she died I ended up with his collecton that he started as a Boy Scout in the 1920's of 1930's. I didn't collect them but I did gather some during the 28 years I worked for the U.S. Postal Service. Don't know what I am going to do with them.
If you post pics of the first two pages of your dad's United States collection, I can give you an idea of what you have.
Don in SoCal
 
I collected stamps as a youngster, probably until I was 13 - 14 years old. It was nice to do, but didn't quite interest me like the coin collecting did, so I focused on the coins.
 
Yep I collected coins with my Father for years and now that he has passed I inherited the collection ! Some of the coins bring back found memories of us going over the coins we gathered together ! what a trip down memory lane !
 
I have a huge collection of stamps;; collected them myself and even I don't know why...
IMG_20211102_121728.webp


I also have the word Stamps tattooed on my left arm, although this is in memory of my Dad, it was his nickname , he didn't collect stamps but was called after an old football player from Derby county (UK) amongst others... Jackie Stamps. So there you go....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom