What's new

Petrified vertebrae stone?

flyadive

Bronze Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2012
Messages
2,251
Reaction score
1,618
Golden Thread
0
Location
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this where their was mining going on ?? I’m not sure what they are mining for but it’s next to Morton Salt in the old Pennsylvania steel plant. Morrisville PA. It’s non magnetic. I originally thought it was slag but now??...
I think it’s petrified bone of something?
It measures 3”x4” x 1 1/2” thick
Thanks guys
HH
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604886816.306344.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604886838.628470.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604886885.635346.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604886907.287412.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604886960.157366.webp
 
Last edited:
It looks like a concretion to me, a naturally occurring rock.
 
Upvote 0
+3 for concretion. It looks like limonite-cemented sandstone.
 
Upvote 0
Welp I think you guys are correct :(
I was hoping for some crazy thing I never heard about answer!
 
Upvote 0
A bone would have had a better defined structure. As far as concretions go, it's a pretty nice one.
 
Upvote 0
I found it where they been digging/ mining for a couple of years. Land turned into a 400 acre lake!
 
Upvote 0
Phosphate nodule, IMO. Formed in fine sediments of shallow seas, 20 to 30 million years ago. It was surface mined near Charleston, and the Ashley river in the second half of the 1800's. A real bane for detectorists, because the top 10 feet of soil was overturned, over a huge Colonial plantations and settlements area. If you're metal detecting near this area, and the ground is nothing but low moguls in the forest, it's been turned over. Modern trash only.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Phosphate nodule, IMO. Formed in fine sediments of shallow seas, 20 to 30 million years ago. It was surface mined near Charleston, and the Ashley river in the second half of the 1800's. A real bane for detectorists, because the top 10 feet of soil was overturned, over a huge Colonial plantations and settlements area. If you're metal detecting near this area, and the ground is nothing but low moguls in the forest, it's been turned over. Modern trash only.

There is only one answer then.... start making cuts with a D9 Cat to get down to the good stuff and it’s never been hunted....
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom