What's new

petrified wood

goldnsilver

Full Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
102
Reaction score
202
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Vintage 1980's
Whites Goldmaster
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would appreciate any thoughts on this piece found last fall. It weights 6 1/4 pounds and about 10" long. Are pieces of this size with cell structure showing hard to find? Possible age? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • DSC00003.webp
    DSC00003.webp
    174.7 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC00009.webp
    DSC00009.webp
    112.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC00011.webp
    DSC00011.webp
    172.4 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC00012.webp
    DSC00012.webp
    141.2 KB · Views: 141
Nice piece! What state is it from? steve
 
Thanks Steve, It was found in Maryland.
 
Preserved wood,part of a wooden case from about 2,000 years with a Roman lead stylus still in situ.
 

Attachments

  • Stylus and Wood case..webp
    Stylus and Wood case..webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 133
Don't know about that last photo looks like a piece of iron but anyway the original photo does look like petrified wood I'm not so sure about Maryland but if it were found in the south I would think it was a piece of petrified palm wood
 
Gator, thanks for the response. Any chance it may be a piece of palm wood that floated up the Chesapeake Bay from the south, many, many years ago? I found it in an area where I pick up arrowheads on the beach, a few miles from an area were I look for Miocene fossil shells. Will post a photo of the shells in another thread. Thanks
 
For comparison;

twigpalm.webp
​
The common practice for petrified wood is to use "form genera" names for specimens, thus all petrified palm fiber is described as Palmoxylon sp and the roots as Rhizopalmoxylon sp. The reason for this convention is that the wood rarely gets as much attention as the foliage when plants are described and these components are rarely, if ever, found attached.

 
Fossilized Palm Wood found in California palm wood 0021.webp
 
Louisiana .. These all came from a Native American site.. there were also many tools made from this material on site

ForumRunner_20150325_150716.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom