What's new

Petrified woodpecker hole

Gravelgrazer

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi
I found this piece of petrified wood from Central Oregon. It looks like a there's woodpecker hole, it's about 3" deep and 2" round. The wood has a faint drusy layer over 1/2 of it and in the middle you can see where it looks like the wood has bugs which is where the hole reaches back to (hope that makes sense). I'm mostly familiar with the green Hampton Butte wood but this one has very detailed grain and sorta brown/tan coloring. So if there's any woodpecker enthusiasts out there, I would love to find out more info! Thanks so much, Monica PETRIFIED WOOD WITH WOODPECKER HOLE - 1.webp
 
Last edited:
How interesting! And, pretty uncommon, I'd guess. It seem that you have an actual fossil (wood) with a trace fossil (ichnofossil, domichnia) nest-hole.
 
Wow!! I have to admit when I read the title I was positive it was going to be bogus. That's an awesome piece
 
Simply amazing! Love it!
 
wow, that is just awesome!
 
That is pretty nice and very interesting....:icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom