Phoenix button rarity chart for Public domain.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey gang, These Phoenix buttons show up on md'ing forum show & tells from both coasts. But primarily found on the west coast.

At one time (20 to 40 yrs. ago), they commanded $150 to $300-ish each. Even for the "common" ones. This was because of 1960s/70s Oregon/Washington/California interest in contact-era history. Ie.: European trade, fur trade, early forts, CA mission / Rancho history, etc..... Thus books and articles were written at that time. In which these trade buttons were discussed & studied.

They were initially considered to be strictly an Indian trade item (and even Indian burial ornament !). But it has since become clear that they were also just simply worn as buttons. By anyone of the period.

Because of the early values, MD'rs began to make sport of looking for them. They became sort of a "sport unto themselves" for us.
cool3.gif

They turn up in areas where habitation was 1810s to 1840s. And I have heard of a couple even being found in the gold rush parts of CA. Meaning either : Indian foot trade routes went that far east into the Sierra foothills. Or that some were actually still being worn on clothing, at the time coastal folk decided to try their luck in the gold fields. Ie.: @ the very early days of the G.R.

As time went on though, go figure : The hardcore collectors began to fill out their "bingo cards". And today, there isn't quite the buyer demand. But no matter: The allure is already cemented. To tally up, hunt & compare, etc.... . We consider each one rare. And whenever/wherever these are turning up, it is always in spots where a reale, for example, can turn up. So like any good relic hunter : The "age indicators" & relics alone are just as much history & fun.

There had always been talk, even in the 1960s, noting that some of the #'s and types seemed to be common. While others were only known as a singular, for example. But no one, until now, had ever sat down to correlate all the studies. And compare collector/digger notes. To compile a rarity chart. I decided it was high time !

So here it is. Hope y'all enjoy it, as much as I have had in making it. Pass it on to anyone you know who's found any. So they can look up their particular buttons.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rX9...ew?ts=6182e46f

Note: I did not want to put values on them. Since demand can change on a whim (depending on how many want it on Ebay at a given time). And inflation would skew the chart in a few years, etc..... It was way-too-subjective. If collecting for these "takes off", then the market tends to apply a value to the asterisk system, all on its own anyhow.

Attachments

• type 1 style 1 large.jpg
    type 1 style 1 large.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 35

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great post. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge of these buttons. I feel very fortunate to have found one, as it is probably about my favorite button find. I wish they were a little more common around here, as it is such a great design and has such an interesting history. I understand you have quite a collection yourself, which is great. Thanks again for the info on these storied buttons.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
What a great post. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge of these buttons. I feel very fortunate to have found one, as it is probably about my favorite button find. I wish they were a little more common around here, as it is such a great design and has such an interesting history. I understand you have quite a collection yourself, which is great. Thanks again for the info on these storied buttons.
thanx lenmac65 . It was posts like yours, and the accompanying natural curiosity that each one brings up (ie.: "Is this a rare one ??") that had finally gotten me prompted to bring together all the known data for this chart. Now people can look up their particular type, style, and rarity.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A postscript to this article of mine : I noticed that the wiki link tries to say that the arrival date, for these buttons, to CA, was mid 1830s. I disagree with that assertion. I have proof that they were here by the late 1810s to early 1820s at the latest. I am not going to try to dispute wiki (to submit an "edit" to them). But will do a note, in my article, to add that "PS" to where I've linked that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread