perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've done any detecting with COVID and all. I'm now based in Vietnam and had a chance to search one of the beaches yesterday on the island of Phu Quoc. Didn't find anything too great, however, I did find a couple of rings and a 10k gold earring. Hoping the beaches here will eventually treat me better (Beach Pirate on Youtube over in Danang makes it look easy!). lol

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-07-18 at 8.58.13 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-18 at 8.58.13 AM.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 33

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do some research about a incountry R&R site We were in the field just north of DungHa. And they would take us there Could not give more info. It been years. But seemed to be only about an hour out from there Good luck

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do some research about a incountry R&R site We were in the field just north of DungHa. And they would take us there Could not give more info. It been years. But seemed to be only about an hour out from there Good luck

Oh man, I'd love to search on some inland sites here in Vietnam but have been advised to stay clear due to the amount of leftover unexploded ordnance from the war. The only thing I could find online about a "DungHa" was a place called "Yen Dung Ha." I'm wondering if it is the same place? I also found a mention of DungHa in a Vietnam War memoir here: The Story of a Black Vietnam Veteran. I've attached a screen shot of the mention in the book. Interesting stuff.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 1.01.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 1.01.51 PM.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, I'd love to search on some inland sites here in Vietnam but have been advised to stay clear due to the amount of leftover unexploded ordnance from the war. The only thing I could find online about a "DungHa" was a place called "Yen Dung Ha." I'm wondering if it is the same place? I also found a mention of DungHa in a Vietnam War memoir here: The Story of a Black Vietnam Veteran. I've attached a screen shot of the mention in the book. Interesting stuff.

Or perhaps it's spelled "Dong Ha" nowadays and here is some info. about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Đông_Hà Might have to go check it out as they have tours of the old DMZ from there it looks like.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok mis spelt
If you find it on a map. It should be near rt9. Next location south was. Quant Tri. Heading north was. Cam Lo then Con tien Rt 9 turned west then and headed out to Ka sen. if you need more in depth info look up ninth Marines. We were all over the northern I corps. Good luck

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the beaches at Phan Rang air base... Gotta be a lot of stuff lost there. Thousands of service personal used that beach for in-country R&R https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Rang_Air_Base 003.JPG Beach area,Just to the right of that Mt. in the background (in the top Pix.).

Last edited:
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the beaches at Phan Rang air base... Gotta be a lot of stuff lost there. Thousands of service personal used that beach for in-country R&R https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Rang_Air_Base Beach area,Just to the right of that Mt. in the background (in the top Pix.).

Thanks for the recommendation! It looks like the base is now called Thanh Son Air Base. I've attached a screen shot (with the terrain around the base illustrated) from Google Maps- maybe you can help narrow down where the beach was? Seems like there are currently a number of small lakes on/near the base (I've circled them in red). The ocean is also close by and now called Ninh Chu Beach (circled in blue). Can you remember if any of these are where the R&R beach was?

I'd love to find some long lost high school/wedding rings there and reunite them with Vietnam veterans back in the States...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 1.53.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 1.53.07 PM.png
    405.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the recommendation! It looks like the base is now called Thanh Son Air Base. I've attached a screen shot (with the terrain around the base illustrated) from Google Maps- maybe you can help narrow down where the beach was? Seems like there are currently a number of small lakes on/near the base (I've circled them in red). The ocean is also close by and now called Ninh Chu Beach (circled in blue). Can you remember if any of these are where the R&R beach was?

I'd love to find some long lost high school/wedding rings there and reunite them with Vietnam veterans back in the States...

That entire area you have circled in Blue(on the ocean) is the beach area I posted about earlier ,good luck !:) Got to be a lot of jewelry left behind.The guys on R&R at that beach 'Partied' like there was no tomorrow.:occasion14: Back then there was only one road in & out to the beach.It took you thru a mountain pass where 'Charlie' would have his fun.And we would have ours,with air-support of at least 2 attack choppers and armored vehicles.Including,but not limited to . 008.JPG
Also...As far as I know None of the lakes you circled were secured for R&R. 006.JPG 007.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That entire area you have circled in Blue(on the ocean) is the beach area I posted about earlier ,good luck !:) Got to be a lot of jewelry left behind.The guys on R&R at that beach 'Partied' like there was no tomorrow.:occasion14: Back then there was only one road in & out to the beach.It took you thru a mountain pass where 'Charlie' would have his fun.And we would have ours,with air-support of at least 2 attack choppers and armored vehicles.Including,but not limited to .
attachment.php

Also...As far as I know None of the lakes you circled were secured for R&R.
attachment.php
attachment.php

I love hearing stories of soldier's experiences in Vietnam especially now that I am living here. Thank you so much! I will definitely be checking out that beach on my next trip to Nha Trang. Hopefully Beach Pirate on Youtube hasn't gotten to it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nha Trang city & Base 016.JPG 011.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned Nha Trang... That might be a good beach to hunt. Off duty GIs would just walk across Highway One and go swimming in the South China Sea:) The runway at Nha Trang air Base ended at the beach.As pictured here where a F-100 crash landed off the runway into the sand(loaded with 750 pounders).You can just make out the tail of the F-100 at 3 o'clock in the background. 003.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned Nha Trang... That might be a good beach to hunt. Off duty GIs would just walk across Highway One and go swimming in the South China Sea:) The runway at Nha Trang air Base ended at the beach.As pictured here where a F-100 crash landed off the runway into the sand(loaded with 750 pounders).You can just make out the tail of the F-100 at 3 o'clock in the background.

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. Vietnam looks so different now you wouldn't believe it.

Reactions: RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. Vietnam looks so different now you wouldn't believe it.

Yeah I did some googling ,what a change ! And Hotel rates under $30.00? :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread